March 21, 2007

Cow Pasture and Clogs

Sunday we were out at Chucks parents again. They were in the back field cleaning up brush and burning it. Chuck wanted to cut down a tree so he didn't want to take Gracie.... but, OH, she wanted to ride on that tractor.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

I had their little red wagon so I told him I would pull Suze in the wagon and walk out there to watch Gracie... oh by the way, 'Suze' is Gracie's new name for Suzie...ever since she started shortening words to one syllable... I put on Suze's jacket, glubs (thats gloves in Gracie talk) and hat... and out to the pasture we went.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

Now, normally pulling a 20lb child in a wagon would be no big deal; however, I forgot to take a few things into account. First of all I wasn't walking down a paved street or sidewalk. I was walking in a cow pasture. Not only was the ground extremely unlevel, there were several, uhem, obstacles in the way..... it was like a checker board of cow piles ...So we bumped and maneuvered our way down the hill to the creek. Suze didn't seem to mind. She was singing aloud, listening to her voice warble with every bump.

My second problem was the creek. Now any country-raised person would realize that the best option for shoes would be a boot of some sort... Well, in my defense, I did bring my rubber waders; I uh, just left them in Chuck's truck .... When I started down the hill I thought about putting them on but then decided not to.

So here I stand, in front of the creek, wearing a pair of 2 inch heal, slip-on clogs.... City Girl ... The creek was pretty shallow but not enough for me to get across and remain dry-footed. Caleb was racing around on the 4wheeler.... Ding! the light bulb went on ....

I yell for Caleb to come over and motion for him to cross to my side of the creek. He crosses, turns around and pulls up next to me. I sit on the back, while still hanging on to 'Singing Suzie' in the wagon. Slowly Caleb gives it gas. I start to wonder if this was such a good idea, the wagon might tip over. Poor little Suze has no idea, she is just enjoying the ride. We did make it across safely. I hopped off the 4wheeler and began walking up the steep hill in my 2 inch, slip-on clogs.... talk about a work out ...

My third problem... I reached the back pasture, Suze still singing, and took the path to the right of the field instead of to the left. All was going well until I reached back side of the field. Now I had to walk to the other side of the field to get to where Gracie and the boys were. It was nothing but MUD! I'm trying to find patches of grass to step on while trying not to tip the wagon over in a rut of mud. Chuck is watching me from the other side and yells, "Got your boots on?" Well, Duh. would I be walking like this if I had 'em on?, "No" Chuck walks down the field and takes the wagon handle from me, which allows me to be more maneuverable. He pulls Suze safely to the other side, with me not far behind.

Chuck tells Caleb to ride up to the house and get something for him. I tell Caleb to get my boots out of Chuck's truck.


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

So Caleb brings me my boots and I slip them on. Soon Gracie is ready to go back to the house. We start our trek.... me in my boots .... Why is it that when wearing boots, your socks feel the need to congregate with your toes??? By the time I reached the house my foot was completely bare with my socks bunched up in the toe of the boot.

4 comments:

Rachel Hauck said...

GREAT post. Singing Suze must take after her Grandma and Aunt Rachel. ;)

I WISH I was there.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

This is so funny - I can see the whole thing clearly. Great memory making. Hope to hear "Suze" singing soon. Love Mom and grandma

Heather said...

I wear my hubby's insulated boots almost daily through the winter to feed our dogs (I like his better than mine). I started wearing my isotoner slippers inside of his boots to keep my socks from doing that. It drives me insane when they don't stay put.
Great story and cute pics!

Janean said...

AAhhhh! YES! Socks do that in boots don't they. Did you resist the urge to tell Chuck "Here's your sign?" :D Got yer boots on? LOL YAH RIGHT! THat's why I'm dodgin cowpatties!
Funny story! Baby girl is PRECIOUS in that outfit, too!