December 19, 2007

Christmas Shopping For G@s

After all that driving around on Sunday, my van was on E when I pulled out of my driveway Monday morning. I rarely stop in town for gas, I usually get it when I stop for my special coffee mix on my way to work. But Monday I had no choice, I had to get gas in town.

I pulled into the station only to find that they were out of gas except for Premium.... like gas isn't expensive enough.... I put in $20, which didn't even get it to half full.... Grrrrr ... I had already planned to leave work early so Chuck and I could go Christmas shopping. Gas is cheaper in KY so I would just fill up while we were over there.

I left work at 8 am to drive back home and get Chuck. We drove to KY, stopped in three different stores, ate lunch and headed home to wrap presents before the boys got off the bus. I still have a few things left to buy... I couldn't find good snow gloves for the girls....

We still hadn't stopped for gas. Every station we passed was more expensive than home.... if I hadn't needed gas, it would have been 20 cents cheaper.... There was enough in the tank so we decided to drive home.

There are only two fuel stations in our town. There used to be 3 but some Ir*nian ethnics bought two of the stations and left the one vacant. I pulled into the first station and they were completely out of gas. None. Zilch. NaDa.

I pulled out of their lot and went to the second station. The first pump I pulled up to was empty. The second pump was broken. Finally the third pump I pulled into had Premium only. $$$...

Living here in a Small Bible Belt Farm Town, there aren't too many... uhm, well.... lets just say we don't have a wide variety of people around here. When the certain gentleman bought those 2 gas stations, there were several comments around town about the reasons why someone of his decent would buy these gas stations.

There were a lot of comments about his intentions with these stations, and in today's society, people have a legitimate reason to fear. I try not to think about these things and get myself worked up and I must admit, the incident 6 years ago didn't have a huge impact on my day to day routine. Don't misunderstand. That day is very disturbing to me but it didn't have a direct effect on how my day functions. Oh, we've had a few calls over the years because people thought their mail was tampered with or they saw a strange bottle of some sort, but I don't travel often and I haven't been on a plane in the last 6 years.

So, Anyway, I guess my whole point is that I have only seen indirect affects of terr0ist!c behavior. And when some people would go on about exaggerated things this guy could do with these gas stations I would always think one simple thing..... No explosions. No big bangs. Just stop selling gas.

Monday afternoon gave me an idea of how much that would hurt small town America. As Chuck was fueling the van I thought about this being a big conspiracy. Gentlemen being sent here to buy our filling stations in order to shut them down. Then as I thought about it a little more I told myself that if we weren't buying their fuel, they wouldn't be making any money. So maybe this is just a fluke that both these stations ran out of gas on the same day. hmmmm...

4 comments:

Mari said...

It was probably just a fluke, but it sure is a pain! I always need gas when it's expensive too!

Anonymous said...

The irony of this is - about 10 years ago Dad and I was talking to a small grocery owner and he said that our government was giving foreigners business loans @3% but an American couldn't get a loan at that rate. If you travel much you see that Mid-east people run motels and gas/convenience stores. It is disconcerting.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebekah said...

I deleted the above post, not so much for what they said but because they were anonymous.

This post was in no way to be racist. It was mostly to be about the on going gas issues. People in my small town may make comments but I never said I agreed with them.

I believe people are people, no matter their race, creed or nationality.