January 19, 2008

What Are You Wearing Under There?

Chuck has been busy the past few days with work, EMT class, fire department stuff . Wednesday night/ Thursday morning Chuck was called out for a structure fire shortly after midnight. He jumped out of bed and headed for the firehouse. It was a big fire and took 5 departments 5 hours to put it out.

That gets us to about 5am. The guys took a break to get something to eat, relax a few minutes, then got started cleaning up... Washing trucks, cleaning hoses, checking equipment and refilling air bottles.....

After that, Chuck spent a few more hours doing the investigation and finishing up the paper work.

Around 11 am the girls wanted Chicky Nuggets for lunch so we headed for the Arches, stopping by the firehouse to see Daddy first. Chuck opened up the door for us. The first thing out of Gracie's mouth was, "Daddy, why you have your pj's on? It not time fo bed!" Chuck laughed, "Yes it is. For me anyway."

When Chuck was younger and first joined the fire department he was so over-the-top, gung-ho about being on the first truck out of the fire house that he had been known to jump out of bed and respond in his tighty whiteys. He was usually the first or second guy there and jumped right into his bunker pants, so no one really saw him in his undies.

When we got married I bought him some flannel jammie bottoms. He wears these to bed every night... just in case he gets called out to a fire or a first responder run. Now it's alright to slip on bunker pants over your undies, but I don't think a person in respiratory distress would want some guy showing up in his undies to preform CPR.

So, the next time you see a fireman in bunker pants, you may just ask yourself what he is wearing under there

7 comments:

Mari said...

I guess what ever it takes to get there fast, works for me!

Nicki said...

That's funny! But I have to say, if it was my house on fire or my family that needed help, I wouldn't much care what they were wearing as long as they responded quick!

Sharon Hayes said...

funny. . . :o)

Paul Joe said...

A good Heart,and jeah it's funny!
God Bless you!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I guess I wouldn't much care what they were wearing under there either if they saved my house or someone from a fire!!

But, that is kinda funny.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this eye-opening post about what firemen have on under those huge, bulky suits!

Janean said...

I read a blog from Ambulance Driver and he posted one time about the jumpsuits they wore on the ambulance when he was younger...and how the pockets gape open on the sides...and how he didn't dress appropriately one time...I almost laughed myself silly. The nurses in the ER pointed it out to him. EGADS! I am always amazed that I don't scare the patients silly when I respond without brushing my hair. :D