February 07, 2008

Come Back Comment Of The Week

Huckabee was in SanFrancisco speaking at a news conference. In between pre-submitted questions a lady in the back began to shout out. Here is an excerp from a news article about Huck's reaction....

{His speech was briefly interrupted by a woman who raised an orange and black "Who would Jesus bomb," sign and shouted at Huckabee to stop the violence in Iraq, if he were to be elected president. Security whisked the woman away.
Huckabee, who has gained a large following largely because of his quick wit and patter on the microphone, defended the woman: "Let's not be angry at that person," he said. "The beauty of America is that a person can make a disruption like that and not get taken out and shot. Let's just be grateful to be citizens of the United States of America."}


I loved his response and it got me to thinking... yea, scary I know.... It seems that there are some people out there that really don't appreciate the country that we live in. They seem to have forgotten why our forefathers sailed over here and why so many people want to live here.

Freedom! That's what we have here in America. But freedom doesn't come free and like our forefathers, we may have to fight for it. Depending on who gets President we may have to fight to keep a lot of freedoms we have here in America.

I could spin this off on a variety of topics but Huck's response got me to thinking about the Second Amendment. The Right to Bear Arms. And this leads me to the question "Do people really understand the Value of that right?" It's the right to portect ourselves against the home invader trying to steal our security, hurt our family, take a piece of our self. It's the right to protect against a tyrannical government... (now I know we don't understand what that would be like but the possibility is there)... It's the right to protect what we work hard to achieve.

I can just see it now. The government puts the hammer down on the Second Amendment and makes it a crime to possess or carry a firearm..... ** We are running around on the football field of life. The government rushes out on the field and blows the whistle of political correctness. They hold up their hands to quiet the crowd and announce the play violation....

**"We, your superior leaders, have decided that it is not safe for you to be running around on the playing field while carrying a gun. For your safety we have deemed it illegal and you must hand over all you weapons. Please line up in rows of two and deposit all your guns over here. Thank you."**

All the law abiding citizens line up and reluctanty follow the orders. However, all the dope dealing thugs continue the game, chasing each other, shooting each other and shooting the law abiding citizens standing in line.

The government runs back out onto the field and blows the whistle repeatedly. "Now all you Lawfully-Challenged citizens (can't call them criminals. That would be politically incorrect) I blew the whistle and asked you to turn over you weapons. I expect you to abide by this rule."

The thugs stop running. Thug 1 turns to Thug 2 and says with a sigh, "Well, I guess that's it. We have to turn in our guns." Both Thugs walk over to line apologizing to the government. A wave of morality washes over them and Thug 2 stops in front of the Ref, "Here man, I might as well hand you this too." He empties his pockets, handing over his stash of illegal drugs. Upon seeing this, Thug 1's heart warms. He solemnly reaches into his jacket and pulls out a wad of money, handing it to the Ref, "I robbed this little old lady yesterday. Would you make sure she gets this money back?"

HA! Not gonna happen.

Washington DC has (had) some of the strictest gun control laws and at the same time they had the highest murder rate per capita. (I say "had" because I am pretty sure the Supreme Court overturned some of those laws because they were in violation of our rights)

Last week I got this e-mail regarding the history of gun control. I have got this e-mail a couple of times over the past few years. I don't know how accurate the facts are, but it makes a good point.... and I sure as heck don't want to have this theory/fact tested here in America


A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
I Thought you might appreciate this . . .
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
------------------------------
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------------
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
------------------------------
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
List of 7 items: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note, that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDER LY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'.
Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, Please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

I know that some people agree with gun control because of the destruction of accidental shooting, especially kids that find their parents guns. But more people die in car accidents per year then from gun shots. Should we make driving illegal in the best interest of people's safety?

8 comments:

Sharon Hayes said...

WOW Bekah, GREAT blog. We really need to PRAY for the general election. Whichever Democrat is nominated, if they are elected president, we will have national health care within the first 2 years - that will be their 1st task. Might as well put a gun to our heads if they do because we sure won't get good health care - look at England and Canada - people come here to get what they need.

'nuf said Love ya Mom

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Rebekah,

I just LOVE your points on gun control. Well said my friend! Hmmmm...have you ever thought of possibly running for office?

You'd have my vote!!!

Blessings, Joanne

Rachel Hauck said...

GREAT post!

Well said.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

VERY thought provoking post. I so admire you, Rebekah, for taking so much time to educate yourself and express your views despite the fact that you work and are a mother who has limited time.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I agree - very well said. I totally agree. I don't own a gun -heck, I've never even SHOT a gun...but I totally believe people should have the right to own and carry one if they wish. And yea, the laws just penalize the LAW ABIDING citizens and *NEWS FLASH* last I heard, criminals aren't law abiding citizens.

Mari said...

This is an excellent post - you really did your homework on this one!

Wentworth Family Blog said...

great post! your right on.

Wadical said...

There are over 80 million lawful gun owners in the United States. Say that to yourself, 80 million! Say it again....80 million!

The largest Army in the world (the Chinese) has just over 2.3 million and there are just over 7 million in its entire military, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

So, to put it in perspective, if only one quarter of us "legal gun owners" are serious about keeping that right and fighting for it if necessary, even at one quarter strength, we still outnumber the largest military in the world 3 times over and the 4 largest militaries combined!

I do believe the day is approaching when they will say "No more guns." If you don't already have one, you cannot get one and even if you do, you can't get another. But I believe the day when they say "Give us your guns...all of them" is a long way off if it is even possible at all.

Perhaps they will try. I don't know. Perhaps then we will just say "NO, you may not have my guns, thank you for asking! Now get the hell off my property!" Trust me, someone would and when they did, the ATF would come in and take them by force. Perhaps they would be declared enemies of the state and the National Guard would descend upon them. Perhaps they would die by the hundreds or thousands in a blaze of glory. Either way, you let that happen and it would serve as a catalyst for a revolutionary movement like none other in history. Americans will not sit idle while their countrymen are being killed by their government for refusing to give up their only means of protection....not in a million years.

I believe they will deny the right to those who don't already exercise it and "grandfather in", so to speak, those who do. I believe THAT is a much more likely scenario (no less dangerous to our security, mind you). But it is much less risky for the government to eliminate guns over a few generations by attrition rather than by risking a civil war by confiscation.

The question is: Are we willing to fight against ANY restriction of our rights? Or are we content to let them whittle away at them until nothing is left? The people here in Florida speak loudly when it comes to such an issue. A two day gun show this past weekend processed 400 new concealed weapon permit seekers through the required training. 400 in two days...in one city! I think people aren't as stupid as our politicians on the left would choose to believe. They're getting what they can while they can. My advice for you is to do the same.

A right not exercised, is a right forfeited!