February 04, 2008

Inherited Sleep Pattern

Gracie has inherited her father's sleep habbits.

When we were first married Chuck would wake me up all the time with his dream "talking" and dream "working". He used to hammer, saw, climb ladders, fight fires and carry on conversations while sleeping. In the morning I would ask him what he was dreaming about but he could never remember. Occasionally I would wake him up in the middle of his dream, but he still couldn't remember. I have tried talking to him while he is "sleep talking" so maybe I could figure out his dream. But it never worked.

One time he did punch me while he ws sleeping. He said the second his hand went out he thought to himself, "Opps. I am gonna be in trouble for that." I was more worried about having a black eye and trying to explain what happened at work...... a bunch of police officers that have heard every excuse in the book for domestic violence are not going to believe my story.... Luckily he didn't hit me hard enough to leave a bruise.

So anyway, Gracie dreams the same way. I hear her talking in the middle of the night all the time. I usually wait for a few minutes to make sure she is dreaming and not awake and in need of something before I go to her room.

For the past several weeks, Gracie has been obsessed with wanting to go camping. Every day she asks if we can go camping and put up the tent. I tell her no. She asks why. I tell her its too cold. Her reply is simply that she wants to go camping.... the girl knows what she wants and doesn't care if she has to spleep on a snowy, frozen ground...

A few nights ago I heard a bump in the night. Suzie had been sleeping restless and I thought maybe she fell out of her bed. I jumped out of bed, my feet landing on the cold, burr cold, floor. Concerned for Suzie I dashed down the hall, trying to run on the tips of my big toes so the rest of my foot didn't freeze.

I got to the girls room to find Suzie safely in her bed, warm and snuggley.... while my feet were cold and freezing... I started to leave but heard Gracie mumble something. Gracie doesn't like to sleep covered up and when I turned to check on her I noticed she was wrapped up in her sheet. The next thing I knew she flung her feet up against the wall and screamed, "Get this life jacket off me! Caleb! I want it OFFFF!" .... I chuckled to myself guessing that she went camping in her sleep.... She flung her tangled up feet against the wall again. I quickly moved over to her and re-situated her and her covers.

I jogged back down to my bedroom on my big toes and jumped under the warm covers.

4 comments:

Sharon Hayes said...

Hey Bek Gracie's Uncle Danny used to talk in his sleep too, when he was 4-6 years old. Hopefully this won't lastt too long. . . :o0
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I love it when hubby sleep talks. He says such funny things! But it's not so funny when your son sleepwalks and thinks your bedroom is the bathroom and the corner is the toilet!

AlaneM said...

What a cute story! My hubby & kids talk in their sleep too. Took me forever after we were married to get used to it! But my brood usually makes no sense what-so-ever in their talking. Results in some pretty funny word combos! I should keep a notebook next to my bed cos I always forget what they said, hmmm...

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

speaking of toes, I like alanem's icon there with the toes.

I think I might talk in my sleep, but I'm not sure. Brandon does too occasionally. Especially when I try to move him (because he falls asleep in my bed all the time!!)