Caleb had a baseball game last night. One of the kids on his team hit two in-the-park home runs. Smacking the ball into the outfield, he ran to first, then on to second. The other team over threw the ball and our kid was able to steal 3rd and home. His triumph reminded me of Josh a few years ago....
Gosh, I am thinking that Josh was about 9. He was such a little feller it's hard to look back and gage what his age was at the time. He was so little that when he stepped up to the plate and crouched down into his stance, he had no strike zone... the space between his knees and shoulders... Most of the pitches thrown to him were called 'Balls' so he usually got walked.
Stepping up to the plate, little Josh balanced the bat over his shoulder. Determined to get a hit and not be walked, Josh swung his bat around on what was an obvious 'ball'. Smack! The baseball sailed out into the field. Josh ran to first, pumping his fist in the air as his foot landed on the base.
The other team threw the ball to the Pitcher, which usually signified that the play was over.. kids at this age level didn't steal bases... The Pitcher turned his attention to the next batter. But Josh wasn't done.
Head down and determined, Josh took off for second. The players in the field screamed at their pitcher as Josh's quick, short stride carried him on. Half way down the base line, the Pitcher finally turned to see Josh movin' on. The second baseman missed the throw and the ball rolled into center field.
Josh's teammates jammed their faces in the dugout fence, yelling and cheering. Standing on the base briefly, Josh looked around, his expression serious. Off he went again. This time everyone jumped to their feet, screaming.... "Stop! Go! Run! Go Back! Josh, What are you doing? Run!"... The crowd couldn't decided what to cheer for him.
Watching my little boy take such risks quickened my pulse. I was so excited for him to get on base, I didn't want to see him get thrown out.
Nearing third, Josh rounded out the baseline, already having in his head that he wasn't going to stop. Defense threw the ball to third. Josh was still a few steps from the bag.... Gasp! please don't catch that ball... The ball hit the ground in front of the third baseman and bounced past his glove... Whew!... The dugout fence stopped the ball from rolling any further, keeping it close to third base.
Josh tagged third base on the run and headed for home, but the third baseman had the ball... Oh Josh why didn't you stop?... I held my breath and pulled my clinched fists up to my mouth... Eeeeeeeee... eyes squinted, afraid to watch.
Third baseman fumbled the ball, causing his throw to be off center. The Catcher had to leave home plate to fetch the uncoordinated ball... yeah, it was the balls fault... Josh neared home plate. Both dugouts. Both bleachers. Standing. Yelling. Screaming. Cheering. The Catcher was still trying pick up the ball.... You know those times when you're so excited you couldn't pick up the ball to save your life.... He reached for the ball three or four times and came up empty handed.
Finally. The Catcher picked up the ball. He turned toward home plate. But it was too late. Josh had made it home. The decibel of the screaming crowd doubled... which I didn't think was possible... Josh bent down to pick up his bat and jogged back to his dugout like it was no big deal...
The crowd in a loud roar of blissful cheer. His team all but tackled him. And Josh? No emotion other than a smile on his face... Glad? Sad? Happy? Nothing! Typical Josh.
I don't remember if we won that game. It didn't really matter- even to Josh who is usually very anal about winning and losing. He WON that game, no matter what the score board posted.
One of the mothers just so happened to be video taping her son. She had clicked on her camera when Josh went up to bat and got the whole thing on tape. Less than 24 hours later, she stopped by the house with a copy of Josh's victorious home run. Let's just say that Josh watched it more than once.
May 14, 2008
Stealing The Bases
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Pretty exciting moment, I can just imagine what you were feeling! All the stars were aligned for Josh that day. Yay for videotaping mom.
Oh my gosh, how much fun that day must have been!
Sam is in tee ball right now...SO funny to watch, I laugh quite a lot during those games :)
I remember you telling me about this game, so glad you put it in a blog - I can really picture him doing this.
YEA JOSH!!
Love Mom/Mamaw
Your post brought back memories of the ONE year I played softball. I hit a triple (probably the only time I actually hit the ball) and should have ran home but stopped at third...oh well!
Wow! I felt like I was there watching the excitement of it all...I know you were a proud mama that day!
Whoohoooooooo What a great day. And what a great keepsake, too!
Post a Comment