June 30, 2008

Eggs. Dorks. And Lets Not Go There.

Walking through the yard the other evening I found a small robin's egg. There was a hole in it, some dried yoke on the rim of the hole as well as a little bit of gooey yoke on the inside.... not sure if the bird inside made it out or died some where along the incubation period... Other than that it was in perfect shape, no cracks or dents of any kind. It was such a pretty shade of blue, I just had to show Gracie.

Eyebrows raised with curiosity and a smile of uncertain excitement, Gracie took the egg, "What is it, Mom?" I explained what it was and Gracie asked with a bright face, "Can I keep it??"

We trotted into the house, Gracie still holding her treasure. "Im gonna put this in my wroom." She started down the hall then stopped to get permission, "Can I Mommy? I pwromise I won't speel the juice."

I never really got a chance to answer her because she took off outside to show her friend the egg. Gracie ended up letting Suzie hold it. Suzie, not knowing how fragile the egg was, smashed it the second she got it in her grasp. Suprisingly Gracie wasn't upset at all, telling Suzie to put it in the "crash" (trash)

****
Driving home from the farm the other night, we passed a cop. He was riding close to the shoulder as if we was going to turn on me. I looked down at my speed-o-meter. I was only 7 over, surely he wouldn't pull me over for that. I saw him hit his breaks, but he kept on going. I watched him in my rear view mirror, talking to myself.

"What are you doing, Mommy?" Gracie asked

Still looking in my mirror, "Wondering if this cop is gonna pull me over?"

"Why is he gonna pull you over?"

"I don't know, Gracie."

"Because he's a dork?" Gracie asked.

I laughed at Gracie. How she puts this stuff together. I know I use the word "dork" a lot, especially when I am driving and another vehicle cuts me off or if someone doesn't use their turn signal. But I have never referred to an authority figure as a dork. Her words always make me laugh

****
Sitting at my computer checking on e-mails, Gracie stood in front of the bathroom mirror checking herself out. She turned to me with a smile on her face and pointed to her small pokes of womanhood under her shirt, "Look, Mommy. They'ah gettin biggah."... DOH!... I shook my head and laughed. "Gracie, don't let your Daddy hear you say that."... poor girl. If she is anything like I was, her Daddy is going to have her dressing like a nun by the time she is eleven...

8 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Sarah found several Robin's eggs this spring and wanted to keep them in her room. They all met their sad end when she accidentally crushed every one of them. There were lots of tears and we are still on the search for more eggs.

Anonymous said...

Dork indeed. Kids ALWAYS tell on their parents. I learned that teaching Sunday School.

Anonymous said...

Except this isn't angie. Angie just left herself logged in.

Oooh boy this is gonna be fun.

Sharon Hayes said...

Love Gracie's patience w/Suzie squashing the egg shell. . . . and the "dork" questions, pretty sharp!! AND the mirror incident?? OH MY NOT YET!!???

MAMAW

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I'm glad Gracie didn't get upset about the egg. And the mirror thing....boy, she is starting early!!! I think I'm glad I have a boy - ha ha.

Jenny said...

All my girls "dressed" up last night. I thought Chad was going to croak!
Jen

AlaneM said...

Too cute!!

Unknown said...

Funny funny funny