I was thinking about what to post, being the 4th and all. But I am really not in the mood to come up with anything inspirational.... I'll explain in a minute why... But in catching up in my blog reading today I came across a good post.
I enjoy History and I think a lot of Americans forget where we came from and what was sacrificed for our Great Country. So here are some interesting facts concerning the founders of our country. Click on this link and scroll down to the posting for July 2nd.
So, back to why I am un-inspirational. About two and a half years ago, while I was pregnant with Suzie, I experienced tightness in my lower throat, especially when I laid down. I had the sensation that my throat was being squeezed and I couldn't swallow. I chalked it up to all my insides being shoved upward.
Since then I have still experienced this sensation, but then it would go away. Along the way I have had various other minor issues that I labeled as typical with getting older, being the mother of 4, and working a full-time job.
For the past few weeks, the difficulty swallowing has gotten worse and has remained constant. Along with a lump in the middle of my lower throat, between where my collar bone meets. I g0ogled several things and came up with a thyroid issue. Although I didn't have the more common symptoms of thyroid problems, I could check off just about every uncommon symptom. So that and the lump in my throat made me put in a call to an Internist for a check up.
To shorten the story... My thyroid levels are normal. But an ultra sound revealed the left thyroid lobe is more than 9 times the size of the right lobe. It is so big that it is shoving my trachea to the right... hence the difficulty swallowing... It goes down below my clavicle so the ultra sound tech couldn't even measure it all.
My next step is to see and ENT. He will more than likely order a chest x-ray and a needle biopsy. Final step: surgery to remove partial or all of the thyroid.
The chances of this being cancerous are slim... but there is always that chance... The thyroid will need to be at least partial removed due to the compromise of my trachea and windpipe. Several concerns arise with the idea of surgery.
First of all just going through the surgery, recovery, expense and all that nonsense. But then there are concerns for any complications in the surgery... mostly my voice- seeing how I make my living talking on the phone and radio... and then there's the idea of having a nasty scar around my neck... I did go0gle some post-surgery pictures and it may not be so bad... Another of my top concerns is my life after removal... if total... The thyroid is such a major factor is a persons well-being. How will this affect my weight? My mind? Will I have to take a pill every day for the rest of my life?
All this said, I'm not really freaking out over this. It is more of a hassle to me than anything else. Just something else to throw into my day. I've spent the last several days g0ogling and searching page after page, trying to educate myself on anything and everything that has to do with Thyroid.
So if there is anyone out there that has a personal story, thoughts, ideas or words of wisdom- please share 'em. I would love to hear from you
July 04, 2008
Diagnosis Prognosis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
I don't have any words of wisdom for you but I just wanted to say that I will be praying for you.
I am so sorry, Rebekah. My mom has a tumor on her vocal chords. It's benign, but they can't remove it because it's so integrated with healthy tissue. So she has only been able to whisper for almost 20 years. It's really tough.
Anyway, I hope you are able to enjoy the Fourth anyway. Sniz
Well, i just returned to the blog world, and I must say you are not exactly full of good news!!
You poor thing! I can imagine being scared to death but you seem to be handling the news like a trooper! I wish you all the best in surgery and recovery and hopefully your voice will be just fine!!!
i don't know anything about this but i hope you get the answers you need.
My sister in law had this last year and hers was cancerous. The good thing about thyroid cancer is that it rarely spreads and is easily taken care of. She had her thyroid out. You can barely see the scar and her voice was not affected. She has to take a thyroid supplement, but so do a lot of people whose thyroids quit working. I also work with someone else who had this with the same results. Her surgery was about 10 years ago and she's been fine since. The moral is that is you have to have something, this one isn't too bad. That being said - it is always worse when it is you or your family! I'll be praying for you too.
I have no words of wisdom, but I will be praying for you!
Well that just stinks. Surgery is never a convient thing, no matter what you need it for. I've had 5 total myself. (2 ankles, wisdom teeth, & 2 c-sec's) The initial recovery is the worst part for me & I've always been happy with the outcomes.
I had a friend in HS who had not a thyroid surgery but one on her vocal cords - she had a cyst removed & there was a substantial chance she would loose her voice. She came through with flying colors, voice intact & the scar, while large (this was late 80's) faded quite nicely.
I have thyroid issues & have to take a pill a day. I gotta say, I'd rather take my thyroid meds than anything else...they are about the size of a cat pill!
I'll be praying for you girl, please keep us updated. You are important to me & I know the rest of your bloggy buddies feel the same.
((((hugs))))
I will be praying and thinking of you too. Please keep us all informed as to how you are doing, when the surgery is, and if you just need to vent, go for it.
God Bless!
I think the one piece of wisdom that hasn't been spoken yet (though inferred) is God is SO much bigger than your thyroid! Rest in Him and like the others know we are praying for you.
Numbers 6:24-26
Will
Hey Lovey. My mother's thyroid became enlarged just like yours when she was in her early 30s. She had surgery then and has a very fine scar which she covers with a necklace, usually, although to me she'd be fine not covering it at all because there's really nothing to see. I have a scar on my neck, too, from surgery I had on my spine in my 30s. It's a little thicker and more noticeable than Mom's but covers easily with make up when I don't want it to show at all.
Back to Mom, she's lived a perfectly normal life since the surgery, no issues at all and has only recently begun taking a very very low dose of a thyroid-related drug in her 60s.
I will pray, as well, but wanted you to hear about Mom and know she did well and is still doing well. I'm hoping that alone gives you some comfort.
M
It is easy for me to say because I'm not the one that would be having surgery, but especially from the other comments..it sounds like you should have the surgery to have it removed, if that is what the doctor recommends.
Sorry you have to go through all this and I know you don't sound ultra worried aobut it, but it is something you hate to have to worry about and it is scarey. I'm so sorry!!!
I just read your post cause we just got home tonight (or I just got home - Brandon's gone as you know) and I just read your post.
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you make your decision. Keep us posted.
Love ya!
Dana
Hey there...my husband and my mom have taken thyroid medicine for years. It's no biggie (for them to take the medicine that is.) I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue through this journey in the days ahead. Keep us updated. God bless...
Post a Comment