Last Friday I was off work. The boys were out of town with their dad. Chuck took the girls to the sitters. I had to whole day to myself.
It was tempting to sleep late, lay around and do nothing, but I had several things I wanted to get done. I set my alarm for 7... which by the way, IS sleeping in for me... After a leisurely morning... breakfast, coffee, some quiet time, and doing a little blogging... I got busy on some chores.
Our mower was broke and with the boys being gone that week, the grass was in desperate need of mowing. I borrowed the neighbors push mower but the grass was still damp with morning dew. ...what to do, what to do... Not wanting to waste any of my precious time, I wanted to find something else that needed to be done.... Ah, yes. The front door...
We re-sided the house shortly before our house fire... if we'd only known we were going to have a house fire a year later, we would have waited on siding the house... We bought a new front door and painted the outside but never got around to painting the inside of it.
During the house remodel, the front door still never got painted. Actually, we were in such a hurry to move in, a few of the interior doors only got a coat of primer on them. Chuck said he would get them painted that fall. I told him that once we moved in, those doors would never get painted. He rolled his eyes at me and waved off my words... Ahem, two years later and those doors still aren't finished.... actually, they never even got thought of (by Chuck anyway)...
All the interior doors are white, except the front door. It was a metalish gray color and stood out like a sore thumb.... drove me crazy... I found some left over paint. Got out the brushes and rollers. Covered the floor with a sheet. And painted that door.
While waiting for the first coat of paint to dry, I decided to get some mowing down... the grass was now dried by the late morning sun... After several tries at pulling the starter... and maybe a blue word or two... I finally got the mower started. I mowed the side and front yard which took about an hour. Needing to cool off a bit, I went in for a break.
Hyped-up on getting things done, I started on that second coat of paint... I know you need to wait at least two hours in between coats, but I was on a roll... I got that second coat on and headed back out to mow.
Another hour later.... it takes two hours to push mow our yard... and I had the yard done... Looks good... Chuck stopped at home just as I went in for a drink. He noticed the front door and said, "Hey, that looks good. It really adds some character."
"I know. I have been wanting to get the painted for years" I huffed between gulps of water.
"Well, you should have said something" Chuck replied
I turned to face him with one eyebrow cocked and a crooked smile, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!"
"Oh!" Chuck laughed, " I guess that means you already did"
"Yea-ah! Several times" I smirked.
"Sorry." Chuck smiled "It looks good" and out the door he went
However, my hard work and enthusiasm in getting things done around the house has paid off.
Yesterday as I was getting ready to leave work, Chuck called and asked me to stop by the hardware store and pick up the stain I wanted for the deck and picnic table... Whoo Hoo, I have wanted to get them stained forever, it seems... Chuck continued, "I'm going down to Mtown to pick up the fence for the bunny's cage. I'll see you at home" ...YipPeeee....
So- The front door is painted, as well as one of the closet doors... I'll work on the other doors in a few weeks...
The bunnies have a nice roomy fenced in area to play and get some exercise... and they are no longer stinking up my house...
The deck is getting stained at this very moment... Josh and Caleb are helping the two guys that work for Chuck- pressure wash and stain...
Chuck is on his way to look at a new truck (used but new to us)... He is in desperate need of a new truck...
Man! It feels so great to get some of these things off the 'to-do' list. I can't wait to get home and see the deck. I chose a reddish stain to try and match the shutters. I hope it matches up good. I'll have to take some "after" pictures and post them with some "before" pictures.
...being excited to get home and see the deck, I hope my day doesn't drag...
July 18, 2008
Do It Now, Or It Will Never Get Done
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
wow, you go girl! That is excellent that you got so much done. And I can so relate to how good that feels. I live for stuff like that. Sad, but true.
I hope the deck turns out great. I had to laugh at your saying you said a few choice words with the lawn mower cause that is so me. I need to write a post about that sometime cause I sometimes really let off a string of "really bad" curse words when I can't get my weed eater started. GRRR - it frustrates me to no end.
Well, have a great weekend.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
Love it, just love it...boys!
You've given me an idea, maybe I can light a fire under my hubby's butt too :)
Good for you. I am very impressed. If only my days were half that productive. I need to paint my front door as well. Someday.....
Wow, what a productive day you had! Bet your place is looking fabulous!
Post a Comment