September 02, 2008

Noxious Odorous Stank

Earlier this summer Chuck fenced in an area of our yard to keep the bunnies in. I suggested putting down some flooring but Chuck thought they would be fine on the ground.... what do I know, I am just a city girl...

The cool grass that was once a soft cushion for furry little paws is now a dusty bed of dirt. And the bunnies, being the burrowing animals they are, keep digging their way under the chain link fence. The neighbors have knocked on our door several times to report the escaped rabbits.

Next door, behind a big wood fence, is the neighbor's Rottweiler. When the bunnies get out, they usually hop right over to that fence on their way to a wooded area. This sends that poor dog into hysterics... like the bunnies know he cant get to them- Nan Nee Nan Nee Boo Boo, You can't get us...

A few nights ago, snuggled in bed, I heard the neighbor's dog go into a barking fit. "Those darn rabbits are out again!" I huffed. Chuck was trying to get Suzie to sleep... actually I think he fell asleep in the rocking chair... Tempted to just let the bunnies go free, I threw the covers off and headed for the back door. Caleb was up getting a drink, "Where ya goin'?" he asked.

"Get your shoes on and come help me" sighing heavy as I slipped on my flip flops, "Those stupid rabbits are out."

Caleb followed me to the door. Pushing open the screen door I was smacked in the face with the odorous perfume of Skunk! Wow it was strong... strong enough to make my eyes begin to water... So strong I would have bet money it sprayed right on my back porch.

The porch light illuminated the rabbit cage and I could see both of them in there. The neighbor's dog was still in his barking fit. The putrid aroma of Skunk clogged the air. Then it clicked. That stupid dog just got sprayed.

Not completely out of the door way yet I took two steps back, tripping over Caleb who was right on my heels... back up Boy... I caught myself on the door frame and turned to balance him. Pushing him back into the laundry room I pulled the door shut behind me.

Caleb had no idea what just happened, "What are you doing? Aren't we going to look for the bunnies?"

"The dog isn't barking at the bunnies" Stepping out of my flip flops, "he is barking at a skunk and he just got sprayed. And lemme tell ya," I added, "It. Stinks!"

Caleb scrunched up his nose at the thought of 'skunk smell' and kicked off his shoes. We both turned toward our bedrooms. I stopped, spun around and walked toward the girls' room to wake up Chuck... who was asleep in the rocking chair... Knowing Chuck loves the odor of skunk... he's weird, I know... I told him about what just happened. "You should open the back door and take a big whiff. It's pretty pungent out there." I ended.

Too tired to care, Chuck mumbled, "No thanks" and went to bed.

By morning the air had cleared and all was well with the bunnies

****
Oh, and just a word of advise- if you get a paper cut opening the mail, Do Not attempt to peel an orange later that afternoon... Zowie, that hurt...

5 comments:

Mari said...

That same noxious odor was at our house last night. I had to shut the windows and still there is a lingering odor today!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Ick! Glad it wasn't one of your pets!
Those cute little bunnies sound like a lot of work. Someone near me must have let theirs loose or lost it, because there is the cutest little, flop-eared bunny hopping around my yard lately. Strangely the jack-rabbits don't come around as much now.
Hope you are well,
K

Sharon Hayes said...

I HATE SKUNK SMELL!!! Didn't you smell it in your house too - hard to sleep w/that odor in your nostrils. Glad the bunnies were ok though.

Love you all

Officer "Smith" said...

Better and orange than a lemon!!

Jenny said...

That is funny! Your house sounds alot like mine!
Jen