October 20, 2008

I Gave Birth To A Possessed Wild Cat

*I posted this before I added it to Miracle Monday. While it may not be anything huge- I am so thankful that all went well with Suzie's surgery*

Suzie had tube put in her ears and her adenoids taken out last Friday. The procedure was at a new 'campus' facility of Children's Hospital, about an hour and a half away. The hospital is only a few months old and was very nice... each room had a flat screen tv on the wall with cartoons on... They are really set up to cater to children, along with a very pleasant staff.

The morning went by quick... knowing kids can be restless the staff keep things rolling... Suzie was just starting to bounce off the walls when the nurse came in to take us back to surgery. Chuck and I got to go back with her while they put her to sleep.

Uncertain of this 'new' set of strangers Suzie sat quietly on Chuck's lap. Prior to this point, a staff member had visited with Suzie. Along with a doll and a face mask, the Staff showed Suzie how they would put her to sleep and let her choose a flavor to scent the mask. But at this particular moment, none of that mattered.

The Anesthesiologist approached Suzie and held the mask up to her face. Even though she sat still and allowed this to happen, her eyes were narrow, in a threatening manner, as she glared at the Anesthesiologist. He even laughed, "Man, are there any daggers sticking in the back of my head?"

Within a few seconds Suzie's eyes fluttered, rolled back in her head.... She was out cold. Although we'd been through this before, and I knew all was going to be ok, my eyes couldn't help but water up as watched my baby girl limp lifelessly. Chuck laid her down on the bed, the nurse rolled her into the next room and a staff member escorted us to the waiting room.

A quick 15 minutes passed... barely long enough for Chuck and I to grab a doughnut from downstairs... We were called back to a consultation room to meet with the Dr. "Every thing went well" the Dr informed us, then went on the explain a few things about the surgery and recovery.

We were again sent out to the waiting room, this time to wait for Suzie to wake up.

There was a small time delay between Suzie waking up and us getting back to see her, some sort miscommunication between nurses. By the time the nurse came to get us, Suzie was awake and not, I repeat NOT, a happy camper.

As the nurse lead us down the hall, I could hear the echo of a familiar cat-like screech, the screech of a possessed cat. The same demon cry I heard when I had to help hold Suzie down while the Dentist pulled her broken tooth.

The nurse pulled back the curtain to reveal what I feared. A red-faced, disoriented and very pissed-off little girl. Suzie's main issue was her taped up arm holding her IV in place. The poor nurse trying to hold Suzie still so she didn't rip out her IV looked exhausted.

Chuck and I each took turns trying to hold Suzie still but she wouldn't have any part of it. Chuck stood, holding Suzie, trying to keep her right hand away from her left hand. Suzie twisted and spun, wrapping her IV cord around her neck and twisting her blankey several times around herself. She put up quite a battle. We tried to reason with her, telling her if she took some big sips of juice, the nurse could take the IV out. But like I said, she wouldn't have any part of it.

In between passing her back and forth, Suzie said "down". I stood her up, still trying to hold her right arm and unwrap the blanket from around her. Then, as quick as a flash, she did it. She accomplished what she'd been fighting for. She ripped her IV right out and blood began to drop to the floor. Suzie still screaming, the Nurse replied to her efforts, "Ok. Ok. We're done" Suzie picked up on her meaning instantly and calmed down, just a bit, waiting for the tape to be removed from her arm.

The IV out. The tape off her arm. Suzie curled up in my lap, safe under her blankey and went straight to sleep.

The nurse stayed in the room with us while she finished Suzie's paper work. Suzie's stats were within levels that allowed her to be released. With only one concern. Her hydration level. She hadn't been able to drink anything since the night before and she yanked her IV out prematurely.

Half an hour later, the Nurse realized that Suzie wasn't going to wake up- and even if she did wake up she would probably still be too pissed-off to drink anything. She passed Chuck the release papers to sign and sent us on our way.

Suzie slept the whole way home. Lifting her out of her car seat she woke up enough to mumble, "I wanna go seep" I tucked her blankey around her, "Shhh. It's ok Suzie. We're home now. You want to lay down in Mommy's bed." Suzie looked up at me with sad little eyes and nodded her head... awww, I snuggled my baby close...

Suzie slept most of the afternoon and so far, seems to be doing well. She cried during the night a few times, pulling at her ears. But other than that, she's back to herself

13 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

So thankful everything went well!

Thanks for sharing this on Miracle Monday.

Denise said...

Praise God for taking care of your dear daughter.

Brenda said...

So glad her surgery went well. Tubes did wonders for my daughter - didn't have an ear infection for a fews years after!

Anonymous said...

My son had tubes at six months and has never had another ear infection! I am glad she is doing well! Great post! Melissa

Sharon Hayes said...

So glad for Suzie's sake that this is over - No matter how hard they try to make it pleasant it's still scary to little ones. Hug her close for Mamaw.

Maggie said...

Thanks for sharing that story!

My son had to get tubes in his ears when he was 9 months old. We weren't allowed to go back with him while he was being put under, but I was there when he came out of it, and he was not happy! You described the 'after-party' well!!

Thank God we had a good experience, too. And like Melissa, we've not had to deal with another ear infection since!! =)

Mari said...

Poor little Suzie! Actually - it was probably worst for you. It's so hard to see your kids go through anything like that, especially when they don't really understand what is going on.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Oh poor you, I would have been balling as she was screaming. Poor Suzie too, I hope her recovery is quick.
Take care,
K

Danyele Easterhaus said...

it's so good that she came through okay...and i know u must be exhausted too.

Nicole said...

come on over girl, I have an award for you!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear everything went well. I had tears welling up in my eyes just reading about ya'll watching her being drugged...poor gal.

Heidi said...

So glad she's ok. Wow, what a fiesty lil' thang! I am sure it was a stressful day for you.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Rebekah - sorry I'm behind in reading this....of course I'm just now finding out she had tubes!! Brandon had them too and I know it is "routine" but it is still very stressful. Brandon also had hisadenoids out and what you are describing is very similar to what happened with us. Brandon freaked when he woke up and I wasn't there. Poor Suzie - I presume she is doing great now?

This post brought back memories of Brandon's tubes...