I mentioned in yesterday's post about going to a wedding reception over the weekend. This weekend was also me and Chuck's anniversary... which we considered our weekend camping trip our anniversary present...
Saturday, after we dropped the girls off at his parents, we stopped at the store to get a Congratulations card for the happy couple. When Chuck pulled into the parking lot, I didn't budge... knowing he expected me to go get the card and I was being a little ornery- I know, hard to imagine... He glanced at me sideways, his expression asking a silent question, "Aren't you going in" I shrugged my shoulders and vocally replied to his nonverbal words, "You can go pick out the card" Chuck laughed at my remark, "Ha! I'll go in with you, but I ain't gonna pick it out." I rolled my eyes, smiled and opened the truck door.
Standing in front of an entire isle of cards, Chuck and I scooted down looking for the 'Wedding' section. And, of course, the Anniversary cards are right next to the Wedding cards. Chuck picked up and Anniversary card, "I guess I need to buy one of these for tomorrow?" I glanced at the card he was holding in his hand, "Yeah. I guess I need to get one too."
Paused for a second, each of us looking at the row of Anniversary cards, Chuck piped up, "Kind of a waste of money, ain't it?" I lifted my eyes to his, a crooked smile stretching across my face, "Well, they do say 'its the thought that counts.' So, uhm, Happy Anniversary" With that Chuck tucked his card back into the rack and we continued to search for a Wedding card.... ah, what romance...
Actually, I would have to say that Chuck and I are pretty practical people. The sweetest thing he ever did for me was back when we were dating and I was a single mom. He says I set the situation up, but it was purely coincidental.
Anyway, he went grocery shopping with me and as we stood in line at the register, I excused myself to the bathroom... my eyes were starting to swim... I signed a check and handed him my check book to pay for the groceries if the Cashier just happened to be quicker than me.
When I returned to the register, my groceries were mid-ring. Chuck stood at the counter with my check book while I began to put the bagged groceries in the cart. As we walked out of the store, he handed me back my check book with my signed check still in there. He had paid for my groceries... teary eyed and sniffling- see, I told you I was a practical romantic...
October 14, 2008
It's The Thought That Counts, Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
That was pretty romantic!
Ahhhhh, how sweet! My husband would have said to forget the card rather than go pick one out with me.
I totally get your practicality. That is sweet, in his way he was telling you he would take care of you. (I am channeling Freud here) But we don't get cards either. I have a guy like that too & sometimes it ticks me off, but I wouldn't change his lack of sex novel romance for the stability and love I get.
Ok, so what did he do for your anniversary?? Any flowers or dinner for the two of you? huh, huh huh ??
Love you both much
Rocky did a lot like that for me, when Liv and I were on our own. Even before we were dating. Maybe it has something to do with firefighters?
This was such a sweet post. I think a lot of people tend to view romance as all wine and roses but sometimes the most romantic thing our mate can do for us is something that we really need.
That is very sweet and romantic! I hope you both had a lovely weekend.
take care,
K
Gotta love a man that pays for a meal. LOL!
I hope you had a wonderful anniversary. Mine was Oct. 11!I am here by way of Psych Ward. I saw your comments on her post about weight. About your surgery. I would SOOOOO love to get that. I am so self concious about mine but hubby regrets the idea. Go figure....
Oh girl please! Gotta love a man that pays for a single momma's groceries! LOL
Post a Comment