Yesterday was the girls' first day at the new sitters. I think it is going to work out just fine. I stopped at home first. Exercised. Threw in a load of laundry. Then walked down the street to pick up the girls.... much better than driving the 30 min round trip to get them...
I stepped in the door and the girls ran to greet me with big smiles on their faces. Diane, the sitter, said they had a really good day. Suzie only had one accident... but its been a bad potty week so I was glad to hear she only had One accident... The sitter handed me a paper where she jotted down all that the did during the day... potty, snack, color, etc... It was kind of nice. Sometimes pick-up time can be hectic, this way every parent can know how the day went... Chuck thought it was a little corny, but I like it...
Diane mentioned the girls had ice cream for snack. Immediately I laughed, thinking of Suzie eating ice cream a few days ago...
****
I fixed each girl a small bowl of ice cream and we sat at the table. Suddenly, Suzie screamed in pain and shoved her bowl away. A few tears trickled down her cheeks. Completely startled by her cry, I jumped up from my chair. "What's the matter?" I gasped.
Gracie and I locked our eyes on Suzie- red cheeks, quivering lip, eyes brimmed with tears... what in the world is wrong with this child??... Then it clicked... ah-ha... "Suzie," I asked "does your head hurt?" A few more tears trickled down her face as she nodded her head. Suzie's eyes fell to the bowl. She smacked at the ice cream like she was hitting it... getting back for causing her pain...
I sighed relief as I chuckled out, "You had a brain freeze." I watched her carefully, "Do you feel better now?"
Suzie nodded.
"Do you still want your ice cream?" I asked
Suzie nodded.
"You want me to help you?"
Suzie nodded.
I scooted over to the chair next to her, "Here, take smaller bites and you wont get brain freeze"
Gracie, who's thought process started to spew smoke, joined to conversation. "But if her bwain is fwozen, what will she do?" genuine concern in her voice
"Wha?" her question caught me off guard. "Its not really frozen" I laughed... have you ever tried to explain 'brain freeze' to a 4 year old?... Gracie looked at me blankly as I continued, "sometimes when you eat something cold it affects the nerves in you head, and, well uh. It just give you a head ache for a few seconds"... Gracie blinks a few times, still no expression of understanding... "because it happens when you eat something cold, people refer to it as 'brain freeze'."... Oh never mind... "Just eat your ice cream, Gracie" I rolled my eyes, spooning up a bite for Suzie.
****
As I told the sitter this story, she laughed, "Well that explains the look she had on her face when she ate her ice cream. I asked her if she was ok and she just nodded"
We both laughed. I reached down and picked up my little Suze, "I hope she's not scarred for life"... poor baby... "Suzie, eat your ice cream in smaller bites"... hugs and kisses...
But the pain of Brain Freeze hasn't seemed to freeze her love for ice cream- As she asked for a bowl last night.
November 14, 2008
A Bowl Of Frozen Brain Please
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Cute story. You do a great job of capturing these moments. You might want to back up your blog or make hard copies so you can keep these memories even if blogger were to lose them.
That is so cute! I would have to agree, that would have been hard to explain to a 4 year old! ha ha
We have some 'brain' mix up over at my blog today, too! LOL
"brain freeze" poor Suzie makes you feel empathy & laughter at the same time. I can clearly see Gracie's big eyes looking blankly at you. So happy about the new babysitter. Sounds like it's going to be great for the girls & definitely better for you.
Hugs & kisses to all
Glad the sitter is working. That's always a big deal! Poor Suzie - scarred by ice cream!
Aww, poor cutie pie, too funny.
Post a Comment