November 04, 2008

Rockin Good country

*Note- there are a few videos in this post for the purpose of observation and comparison*

Last night, waiting for Caleb to come out from basketball practice, I sat in the van flipping radio stations. I paused at a song that had a very familiar sound but I'd actually never heard it before. I sat for a few seconds with my finger on the radio button, trying to place the song before I continued scanning stations. I really liked the song so I relaxed my hand and listened. But it was driving me crazy not being able to place who was singing.

I listen to several types of music on various stations and there are a lot of musical sounds out there with a similar feel to them. The song I was listening to was on Air1, a sister station to Christian radio, KLove, but with a more Alternative sound, which I think is what caused my brain block.

The song sounded like something from the former group Creed, an Alternative rock band from the late 90's early 2000. Creed had a very distinct sound, mostly due to the vocals of lead singer Scott Stapp. I knew that Stapp was raised in a Christian home, so this being his voice was a good possibility. The song ended and to my relief, the DJ announced the song title and band... Remember from Big Dismal...

Caleb came out and got in the van as I was scribbling down the name of the group. I wanted to g0ogle them and see who the lead singer was.

Before I searched the group, I checked to see if they were on iTunes. No luck. I couldn't come up with any official web site for the band either. But I did come across a link to wikipedia.

Big Dismal was a Christian rock band that Rolling St0ne named to be one of the top five Christian bands on the rise. However, lead singer Eric Durrance announced the band split... Bummer-
probably why I didn't find them on iTunes or an official band site... But Eric has moved on with a solo career... Cool, I'll google his name...

Eric did have is own web site- but a little different than what I thought. He is an up and rising Country star!... Oh, and he is a native of Tallahassee FL- which is where I grew up. Also it is where the group Creed got their big start playing the college campus scene. What a co-ink-e-dink...

I y0utubed him to see if I've heard any of his songs- and I had. I would have never guessed him to be the singer I'd heard a few minutes ago on Air1. Two completely different sounds.

The Alternative, Big Dismal sound...

Compared to the Americonic country sound


Either way, I like his sound and will be a big fan from here on out.

There for a while, the big thing was Country stars going Pop. Now the trend seems to be Rock/ Pop stars going Country. Remember Ho0tie and the Blowfish? Well lead singer Darius Rucker now has his second song out on Country charts. Darius has another one of those unmistakable voices.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I would never have pegged Darius as a country singer but I like his new sound!

Anonymous said...

All I can think of, "I was country, when country wasn't cool."