December 17, 2008

A Cowboy Hat Equals Cowboy

Tuesday night Chuck was working, the boys were with their dad and the girls and I were feeling a little cooped up. We decided to eat out at a local establishment.

They were both such good little girls- we had a nice time. Although I made the mistake of asking what they wanted for Christmas, and Gracie replied with something along the lines of "You mean, what do we want Santa to get us for Christmas."... I guess Gracie's point was that she has already sat on Santa's lap so there wasn't much point in telling 'me' what she wanted...

So anyway, back to our dinner out. About half way through our meal, a lanky, tall-drink-of-water walked in. An older gentleman wearing a cowboy hat... the top of which almost scrapped the ceiling- yes, he was a tall gent... cowboy boots sporting a pair of spurs... he clanked when he walked...

Gracie's back was to the door so she didn't see him walk in. His table was in eye shot of Gracie and something he did caught her attention. Curiosity sparkled in Gracie's eyes. She crinkled her nose with a smile as she whispered across the table, "Mommie. There's a wreal Cowboy"

What about this man sparked in her the idea that he was a "real" cowboy? Cowboy hats aren't an every day thing around here, but we do live in farm-town, Indiana- surely she has seen more than one man wear a cowboy hat... but, maybe not... She couldn't see his boots and spurs, or how tall he was from where he was sitting- but something about this man said "Cowboy"

I watched as she glanced at him a few more times, with a twinkle like she was witnessing something special. I glanced at him as well, trying to figure out what exactly it was the stood out to Gracie. The hat had to be it, because other than the boots- he looked pretty average to me.

Its a kick to see how her mind grows and develops.

5 comments:

Mari said...

Maybe it was the combination of everything about him! Sounds like it made her happy, anyway!

Sharon Hayes said...

So cute - I'm amazed she didn't hear the spurs jingling when he came in!! You can see in her eyes when she is contemplating something. What a fun time for the 3 of you.

Anonymous said...

I love Cowboys! LOL

Nicole said...

I love to see that twilkle in their eyes! How fun for her to finally see a "real" cowboy.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing them come up with new things that make you say..."How do they know that, anyway?"