June 23, 2009

Waterfall Wedding

Chuck's brother got married in Gatlinburg this past weekend. We stayed in a 5 bedroom cabin with Rick and Angel (and all our kids). It was a nice Cabin, but not very well insulated. Rick said it sounded like someone was peeing on his head during the night when one of us used the upstairs bathroom.

The wedding was supposed to take place at a waterfall around 2:30ish. Plans and details were sketchy and unorganized. Everyone attending the wedding was supposed to meet at a certain location and wait for the Preacher to lead us to the waterfall. It was hot. I had to pee. The Preacher was late. Suzie was cranky (very!). After a long, hot wait the Preacher finally showed up but then we had to drive 30 minutes with a screaming child in the van.

But once the waterfall came in to view, all the aggravation melted away- except that I still had to pee... My eyes were starting to swim!!... and listening to the sound of the waterfall (glorious as it was) I wasn't going to make it much longer.


A lady with the Preacher was able to get us into one of the building to use the bathroom. While I was waiting for Gracie, Suzie and Julia I asked the lady about the property. Apparently the place used to be the actual 'town'. There was a flour mill, a black smith shop and a couple other buildings. Several years ago, this couple bought the property and restored the old buildings. After the husband died, the wife started charging for wedding ceremonies to help pay for the upkeep of the property.

These pictures don't even come close to the beauty before us- but seriously, how would you like to step out your front porch every day and see this?

Ok, back to the wedding. After the father gave the bride away, they wedding party and Preacher actually climbed out on the rocks and stood in front of the waterfall... how cool is that?... For those of us on land, all we could do was take pictures and videos. The sound of rushing water drowned out their voices- but it was beautiful!


Gracie and Suzie were very tired and starting to get cranky again. I sent them over to play on Jungle Gym Rick. Lol- he didn't mind at all.


After the ceremony was over and more pictures were taken, we met the Newly weds and other family members downtown for dinner.

I took the above picture earlier in the day. With the wedding in the middle of the day, we didn't have time to do much so we walked around town. Chuck and Suzie holding hands was too precious a pose for me to pass up. (Julia, Gracie and Angel are also in the shot)

Oh- we did have all 6 kids pose for one of those "old Time" photos. The kids had a lot of fun and the picture turned out great!

The day before the wedding, Chuck and I, Josh and Caleb, and Adam and Jennifer went white water rafting. That was a blast- but I could have handled a few more rapids. I wanted all of us to go tubing- the girls would have loved it, but with the wedding in the middle of the day, we didn't have time.

Heat. Rain. Traffic. Cranky Kids- It was still a pretty good weekend

5 comments:

Mari said...

What a beautiful place for a wedding. I love the shot of Chuck and Suzie. We have one of the old time pictures of our family from when we went to Gatlinburg - fun!

Heart2Heart said...

What a beautiful idea for a wedding! I would have never thought of it. Just like the garden of Eden!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Melissa Stover said...

wow that is beautiful. i love outdoor weddings.

Growin' With It said...

gotta say...the waterfall wedding is a new one for me. and what a beautiful idea. gorgeous. glad you had some time away with the craziness of packing, moving and summer!

Beth Cotell said...

What a gorgeous place!