October 29, 2006

An eventful Saturday

Sitting at work with nothing to do I hear a Fire Department get toned out for a structure fire in the southern part of the county. It's a fully involved house fire...winds today are gusting up to 50 mph, not good for house fire...Chuck's Fire Department gets toned out for mutual aid. I hate sitting here cuz I like to video the fires they respond to...have a few good house fire on tape... About an hour later Chuck's old Fire Dept gets toned out for a fully involved barn fire. This Fire Dept never tones for mutual aid so the barn is going to be on the ground, especially with the winds whipping around...these are all volunteer departments...
I leave here at 2pm and drive down to the Fire House. They aren't back yet so I wait for a little bit with one of the Cadets who was waiting to help wash the trucks. About 1/2 hour later the trucks get back. Chuck and Alex are covered in soot. "What did you do, roll in it?" I ask. They are going to be there a while cleaning up so I leave to pick up the girls at grandma's. On my way out there I just have to drive by the barn fire....yep, its on the ground, flames still shooting out the top and firemen are just watching it burn.
Later that afternoon, after Chuck took a shower... We went to the Church for their chili supper. About 1/2 way through dinner, Chuck's pager goes off. Its a First Responder run for a male that has amputated his fingers...youch... The Fire Dept is just a block away so Chuck runs down there. Gracie and I finished our soup and hotdogs and I began to feed Suzie a bottle. There was a vegetable tray on the table so we nibbled on some carrots....since Gracie discovered dunking oreos into milk she likes to dunk whatever she is eating into her drink. So she dunked her carrot into her lemonade...Gracie leaned forward to spit out her carrot. I held out my hand, she spit it out and I dropped onto my plate. She took a couple more bites of her carrot and finished it. She moved forward, leaning over the veggie tray...I thought she was going to get another carrot... She opened her mouth, stuck out her tongue and spit her chewed up carrot on the celery sticks on the tray...gross... I scraped out the chewed up bits, picked out the contaminated celery and threw them away...time to leave...
I pull out of the Church lot and see that the fire trucks aren't back, so being a nosy dispatcher I drive out to the scene. They are set up with a landing zone for the helicopter. I pull over and get Gracie out to watch it land. She was so excited, she kept moving her head in circles, trying to imitate the chopper blades. We got back in the van and drove back to the fire house to wait on Chuck. When Chuck got back Gracie tried to show him what she saw. She held her arms out and spun around and made a whirr sound. Then she stops, looks at him and says, "huh, it was funny."...I'm sure that last little bit loses alot in translation but it was funny

2 comments:

Rachel Hauck said...

Sounds funny to me! What great stories. Wish I was there!

Beaufort is pretty cool.

Rachel

Julie said...

I love it!! Since I can't be there to see and hear all this - what a fun way to keep up with all of you. Love Mom