May 23, 2007

Josh and A Morning Jolt

Ok, I'll start with the morning jolt. Driving to work in the morning I always try to keep my eye out for Deer..... especially since I hit two a couple years ago ... Coming around a corner this morning there stood two deer at the roads edge. I slammed on the break and laid on the horn.... run the other way you stinking deer ... Whew! The deer took off into the field and I no longer needed coffee to wake up.
Now for Josh. He started his ADD medicine several weeks ago. The Dr started him out on Stratera but we weren't seeing the results. Two weeks ago he started on Focalin, a stimulant. There has been a change in his actions. He seems more settled and less anxious. He is still a 13 year old boy, which posses its own issues, but I don't think they make a pill for that. All in all, he seems to be doing well and has had no side effects.
Aside from the medication, Josh is in the process of getting his teeth worked on. Last week he had a retainer put in. I was expecting the typical wire mouth piece, but what he got was much more. The wire frame snaps into a space between his back teeth. There is no wire visible, instead there are four large plastic teeth-like objects attached to the frame. These 'teeth' objects are on either side of his mouth, top and bottom. They cause his lower jaw to stick out and he can't close his mouth all the way. The Dentist is trying to correct his overbite. He will have to wear this for about 4 months, then he gets braces.
I went to GNC the other day to find some sort of weight gainer/ protein drink for him since he can't eat hardly anything. I mixed him up a glass the other day and he drank it. He said it didn't taste too bad. Yesterday I mixed it with juice. He really liked that.... that boy needs to get some flesh on his bones, he is super skinny already, I hope this stuff works ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deer - what a wake up call!!

I feel so much for Josh, I pray the Lord gives you and Chuck LOTS of patience for him - he is really going through it right now that retainer sounds so uncomfortable.

Just being grandma, love Mom

Julie said...

((HUGS)) to Josh. Can't wait to see you all in July!

Janean said...

I seem to be a deer magnet myself. I've actually sent a couple to Bambi heaven.
Had to share this! Someone who appreciates your job!
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007/05/dispatchers-dont-get-paid-enough.html

Heather said...

My Mattehw is super skinny, too. The thing is that he eats way more than I do and never gains a pound. He is very strong, and has no body fat. If I look at it correctly, though his body is working the way it should- he burns off what he consumes and I store what I consume. LOL! He definately has his dad's metabolism!