December 14, 2007

The Sideways Caller

Here in our little dispatch community we use our own little slang for certain incidents... as I'm sure most work places have slang words for particular items...

When we get a call about someone who has/or attempts to do themselves fatal harm, we refer to it as "committing sideways"... don't ask me why, because I have no idea.... probably something to do with emotionally disconnecting from the call...

Over the weekend I got a call from a guy that was a little down and out..... not to mention extremely inebriated. I could almost smell his intoxication... He called 911 and then hung up. I called him back on the regular phone and started asking questions, trying to figure out what kind of help, if any, was needed.

He stumbled over his words, slurring every letter along the way.... slurring words isn't always an alcohol issue... I go down a list of medical questions. He answers no to them all and tells me he has been drinking since last night. He also informs me that he is terribly depressed and needs help.... when dealing with this kind of caller, the request for help can sometimes mean that they have their lethal instrument of choice in hand and are ready to use it... A few other key concerns was his father recently passed away and this time of year deepens family loss and depression.

I got my officer started and continued talking to the man. I needed to clarify his intentions, not only for his safety, but for the safety of my officer. But here's the thing. If I start asking certain question, am I going to be giving the guy ideas??? I can't just blurt out "Are you gonna shoot yourself?" Then have him say, "Hey, I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea."

I asked him a few non-related questions, trying to establish a rapport. Then I slipped in, "You're not gonna hurt yourself are you?" ....holding my breath.... "Oh no," he said. "I'm just depressed.... and drunk." ...whew.... I feel a little less tense but I still need to make sure the scene is safe for my officer to enter, plus I am not going to take the word of a depressed drunk.

I asked him about the location of any weapons in the house. He said he had some guns but they were upstairs. I wanted to verify his address but he was too soused to think of what it was. He told me to hang on so he could find a letter with his address on it. I really didn't want him to put the phone down but drunks tend to lose the ability to follow directions... Can't imagine why...

I updated my officer on the situation while holding the phone to my ear, listening to the silence.... half expecting to hear a gun shot ring out.... The gentleman came back to the phone and slurred out his address.... ok, I've got him back on the phone... I ask a few more questions and then ask again about weapons... making sure he didn't grab one while looking for his address...

Just as my officer pulled up to the house, a family member showed up as well. In the end the gentleman was ok, just lonely and schnockered.

5 comments:

Mari said...

This is why I would be no good at your job. I can't think of responses quick enough in those kinds of conversations. Thanks for posting this. I find your work very interesting!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you Bekah, you may have saved a life that day. Like Mari, I wouldn't know what to say, I wouldn't be able to think fast enough.

Love Mom

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Rebekah,

Let me just say that WOW...I just found you through Mari's little corner of the world and after reading your 100 things I was actually blown away by how much we have in common. I don't want to scare you but will just start by saying that I too am a police dispatcher and my 3rd child is named Grace...let me know if you want me to go on.

And no, you won't need to get a restraining order, my hubby is an attorney and would be happy to do that for you...actually I met him when he was an officer and I was a single mom of two!

I can't wait to be back for a visit.

Blessings, Joanne

Megan Cobb said...

So sad. I'm thankful you were there, though, for him. It's scary to think/say, but we probably all have relatives that could have been on the other end of your phone connection. Bless your heart!

Anonymous said...

Ugh..I know what you mean. I've had both outcomes. 1 year ago tomorrow I had a guy call me, give me his address and tell me to send police because he was going to kill himself, and then do it while I was on the phone. His wife was in another room, and picked up 911 to call, not realizing I was already on the phone. It was one of the worst calls I've ever had.