January 30, 2008

Blogging My Days Off

I really should be doing some work. Due to computer crashes at work, we have lost our much used phone directory. We got a new city directory from the Chamber but it needs to be updated for our purposes.... like after hours contact numbers for alarms that go off in the middle of the night.

But I have been off work for 5 days and may have to take off tomorrow so I am trying to be quick about catching up on blogging.

My first 4 days off were my scheduled days off.... my long weekend. My first morning off, Friday, I got to sleep in til 7:30.... unheard of... the boys were so quiet getting ready for school, fixed their breakfast, and out the door they went. Gracie woke me up but Suzie slept til 8..... again, unheard off....

Saturday we all slept in til 8 or after.... I could get used to this.... The boys had bowling, then Caleb had a basketball game. Later that night Chuck and I had a dinner for the fire department. It's the departments Christmas party. We always have it after the holidays because every one is so busy with family and other priorities.

The party was about a mile from the house so we let Josh and Caleb watch the girls. Suzie hadn't pooped all day so I knew that I would be getting a call. Sure enough, a half hour after I left the house, Caleb called to tell me Suzie stunk. I stood up to leave and told him I would be right there. To my surprise... and delight.... Caleb said, "No. I'll change it, but how do you get her to lay still?"

Ah yes, a question that plagues man kind.... How do you get a kid with a poopy diaper to lay still so you don't coat everything with poop?

I told him what to do, he said he understood and we hung up. That was only the beginning of several phone calls. All of an un-emergency type nature. In spite of that, the boys did a good job with the girls. We got home just after 11pm. They had pulled out the hide-a-bed and if I was certain that taking a picture wouldn't have woke them up I would have flashed away.... Sound asleep on the bed was Josh, Suzie, Gracie and Caleb. They looked so sweet. Thinking about it now, I wish I would have taken the picture. I carried Suzie to her bed and let the rest of them sleep there.

Sunday we all got to sleep in again. Gracie was starting not to feel good again. Chuck and Gracie have both had a cough and runny nose for about 3 weeks.

Monday I finished cleaning the house and did a couple loads of laundry. Gracie started complaining that she was cold and broke out into a fever after dinner. I was at the computer with Caleb helping him with a Social Studies project. I was trying to focus on reading and helping Caleb change his paragraph so it made sense. Gracie wanted me to hold her. Suzie kept pulling CDs onto the floor and hitting Gracie. Gracie would yell. Caleb would ask another question.... Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Calgon, take me away.....

We got to a good stopping point and I told Caleb we would finish it later. I tucked Gracie in on the couch... where she sleeps when she is sick.... I laid Suzie down and listened to the quiet.

Gracie ran a fever most of the night and didn't sleep well. When my alarm went off at 4:30 I was not amused. My stomach hurt a little and my head was starting to clog up. I decided to call in sick and get some rest.

Gracie was content with letting me get some rest as she just laid on the couch. However, Suzie bounced through the house most of the day. Climbing, rummaging through toys and throwing them on the floor, bothering Gracie, running up and down the hall, getting into kitchen cabinets. I laid her down for a nap, which she usually falls asleep quickly. Not this time. An hour later I finally let her get out of bed and let her watch a movie in my bed. That lasted all of 15 minutes.

I took Gracie to the Dr. She has the flu..... ick... The Dr gave me Tamaflu for both her and Suzie, at $40 a pop because the insurance will only pay so much on this particular drug. But if it keeps Suzie from coming down with the flu, it's well worth it.

I was sleeping good when my alarm went off this morning. I didn't want to get up but I was looking forward to getting out of the house.

Chuck stayed home with the girls today and if it snows, I may have to take another sick day tomorrow.... Chuck will be out plowing snow...

Last year I used up all my sick days before March 1st. Looks like I am headed down that same track. Oh well. I still have vacation and comp days.

7 comments:

Mari said...

Sorry to hear the bugs have hit your house. We have been free of them so far. What a good brother Caleb is - you've trained him well.
I would have loved to have seen them all sleeping - I bet it was a heart melter!

AlaneM said...

My fam has had the sickies too...since November it seems like at least someone has been sick the whole time - ugh!
Check out my blog to see the latest installment of illness fun :)
Alane

Sharon Hayes said...

So sorry Gracie is sick, KUDOS to Caleb and Josh - good babysitters. I hope you get more rest.

Love all of you sooooo much
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sleeping in until 8! You know, it's weird. When I was in college, I could sleep until noon no problem. Now when I'm allowed to sleep in, I can't seem to stay asleep past 8 or earlier.
Sorry to hear about the flu. I hope it is gone soon!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

disregard my last comment...I see you still have sick kiddos. :( Sorry about that. I guess you guys are getting hit with a lot of bad weather huh?

That is really cool that the boys babysat. Ya know, Brandon took a course with our local youth center on babysitting. He is going to start doing it (kind of advertising around) to start babysitting - good way to make some $$$. I don't think he would be that comfortable with an infant (at least at this point) - and I don't think he has ever changed a poopy diaper, but hey, I bet he wouldn't mind - ha ha. The other night when we were working at the concession stnad for the the Boys Club, he actually VOLUNTEERED to clean up vomit. Can you believe? What a trooper he is.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Rebekah,

I pretty much always used up my sick days and of course vacation days too. I mean really, that is what they are there for, right?!?

Wentworth Family Blog said...

I stumbled upon your blog and thought I would say hello. I am also a dispatcher, and mother so I can relate to a lot of your writings. Thanks for sharing.