Yes, this is the final post on My Crush. For those that came in late, you can catch up Here
Date night was finally here. Showered. Make-up. Hair dried and curled. Dressed. And then back to the bathroom a few dozen times to touch up my just applied make-up and spray half a bottle of hair spray on my already "stiff" hair.
Crush came to the door. Man, did he smell good... mmmmmmm. Drakkar Noir... We walked out to his car. He followed me around to my side and opened the door for me.... Dating was still new to me and I always felt weird when a guy opend my door. The practical side of me thought 'I'm a big girl, I can open my own door, it'll save time'.... pfff, how much time does it take?... Surprisingly it was a quiet drive to the restaurant. All of a sudden I couldn't think of anything to talk about... hmmm, that's odd...
We got to the restaurant, ordered our food and continued on some small talk.... and no, I absolutely have no recollection of where we went to eat. It wasn't any of our usual places. I think it was a new Italian place out on Monroe St...
After dinner we went for a walk at Lake Ella. We walked along the trail for a bit, watched some ducks come up to shore and peck around on the ground. It was just a touch chilly out but I didn't care. The sky was clear and bright with stars. We headed for the gazebo and walked out on the dock over the water. There was a fountain in the middle of the lake and the moon danced off the ripples sent out across the lake. Crush's cologne floated through the air.
I was leaning on the railing watching the water. Crush was leaning on the railing watching me. He gently grabbed my arm and turned me toward him..... I can't believe I am writing this and my MOTHER is reading it.... He pulled me close to him and wrapped him arms around my waist. We stood there for what seemed like an eternity. My heart pounded so hard I'm certain the people standing down the shore line could hear it. The moon light glistened in his brown eyes, making them sparkle. He pulled me closer as he leaned down for a kiss.
[A kiss! ACK! Crush is gonna kiss me. I had kissed a boy before, but this was gonna be a real kiss. A kiss from Crush. The first kiss of the rest of my life. A moment I had waited for since the 3rd grade. A kiss that would make my knees go weak. A kiss that would make my head spin. A kiss that would send rockets into the sky. A kiss filled with electricity]
Slowly Crush's face came closer to mine. I closed my eyes and waited for the kiss. His cologne filled my senses. Locked in his warm embrace. The trickling fountain filtering the night sounds. Softly his lips touched mine. I took a breath in. Locked in a kiss with Crush.
My eyes popped open.....
[What the heck? ....This isn't right. .....Where are the explosions? .....What happened to the sparks of electricity. Hmmm. My head... My head is clear. No spinning. Why isn't my head spinning? And my knees... My knees are strong and holding me up. No jello legs for me.]
Crush still kissing me
[this isn't the way it's supposed to be. I've been in love with this dude for as long as I can remember. This is supposed to be the kiss fairly tails are made of. What a rip off. I've been jipped!!]
Not that Crush's kiss wasn't nice. But that's all it was. Nice. It was kinda like kissing a distant relative or something. But then again, we had been like family all those years in our small little school.
Well, after that anti-climactic moment, where do you go?
We went to his friends wedding together and I'm certain that we kissed again, but obviously nothing spectacular, still, cuz I don't really remember. Crush, D and I still hung out together. I went with the two of them and some of their friends to D!sney World for the weekend. We had a blast. We even went to see the worlds largest pizza. It didn't taste very good, but then again, I don't think "taste" is what they were trying to accomplish... I have pictures of that somewhere. I will have to try scanning them into the computer....
The three of us had a lot of good times together. Then came time for me to move to Indiana. I would miss our friendship.
Coming close to moving day, we had our final get-together and said our goodbyes. As I drove home that night, I thought about that day, so many years ago, when my heart did it's first flip over a boy. I thought about how much fun I will be missing out on. I thought about the song we recorded in that little shop while we were at D!sney..... Whoo weee. talking about sounding like a bunch of screeching cats... I thought about 'Garrryyyy'. I thought about the "Kiss". Yes. I would miss them.
I've talked to them a few times over the years. Crush went to Ecuador as a missionary for a couple of years. He met a girl down there, got married and brought her home with him. They were living next to his childhood home where his parents still live. D was living in south Florida and working for a fire department. Not sure where he is living now.
Even though our relationship didn't go like I had dreamed. I cherish every memory
January 15, 2008
My First Real Crush: The Final Installment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
What a let down. I was really waiting on the fireworks. I can also smell the Drakkar Noir. I think Mark used to shower in it. Too funny. Do they still sell that stuff?
Smiles!
Too funny about the "kiss"!
Pete and I went to Lake Ella all the time in Tally.
Yeah, I think they still sell Drakkar Noir in Walgreens. lol
AW! You know I somehow expected it to turn out that way. I mean, it WAS an awful lot of build-up - I think you'd have to have experienced something out of a Disney movie for it NOT to have been a let down. I wrote about a similar experience with MY first crush, which started when I was 12. The Kiss didn't happen until I was in my THIRTIES and had been married and divorced and had kissed about a million... ahem, I mean a handful... of boys. It's back in my archives as part of a highschool meme. I can SO relate though. I wonder where your Crush is now?
Loved every minute of this memory. . thanks for writing it.
Love Mom
WEll, thats what I get for reading my sisters blog. I'm sorry but that is gross!! I couldn't even read the whole blog. I don't know where I thought you were going with this but it wasn't with a kiss! Or maybe I didn't think it would bother me but it did. It has shattered my memory of my little sister whom I love.
I remember when you admitted you weren't that into him. I thought, "What? He's so cute!"
But hey, when the sparks aren't there, they aren't.
Nicely done on the four part blog. ;)
Love you, R
Sometimes the fantasy is better than the reality. But at least you got to find out so you wouldn't wonder forever. Thanks for sharing your memories.
Yeah, I had a similar experience. I think alot of girls did if they don't end up marrying their first "crush". You have a way with words, Rebekah.
I'm so glad to finally find out what happened. What a let down, but I think that happens to a lot of people. Who could live up to that build up? This was a great post, even though I did have to wait to find out the end!
You really did good describing it..I was waiting for the fireworks too!!! How disapointing...but the memories are still treasures (like you said).
Post a Comment