It was a great weekend in Tennessee. It's amazing what a difference 4 hours can make, as far as sun shine and temperature. Friday and Saturday were bright blue skies, warm sun shine and no jackets. Sunday was a little chilly and windy before we left.... and of course, when we got home it was down right firgid. We are supposed to get 5 inches of snow over night and temperature below freezing.... Burrrrrr
Aside from the wonderful weather, we had an awesome time with plenty of love and laughter. Speaking of laughter I have to share 2 hysterical moments and one cute comment from Gracie.
My sister, Rachel, told me that she had the M!chael Jacks0n video "Thr1ller" downloaded on her !Pod. I hadn't seen that video in ages so I jumped at the opportunity to watch the video that was cutting edge in its day..... we used to have arguements over who had seen the video the most times. this was in the day when M T V was an actual 'video' channel.....
So anyway, Rachel and I each had an earbud so we could hear the music. Some of the kids were curious as to what we were doing. My cousins little girl climbed up on Rachel's lap. Gracie peeked at the video but wasn't that interested so she left. Caleb walked into the kitchen....
Caleb: glancing over at the !Pod, "What are you guys doing?"
Me & Rachel: our eyes still cast down at the !Pod, "Watching the M!chael Jacks0n video 'Thr!ller'"
Caleb: watching a few seconds of the video then looking at us with a perplexed expression, "I thought M!chael Jacks0n was white??"
My cousin, Keri, and I busted out laughing. Tears streamed down my face as Caleb stood there, still uncertain as to why that was so funny. Rachel had been busy helping Hanna get the ear buds in her ear and didn't hear what Caleb said. When she caught up to speed she, too, joined in the laughter. After the three of us quieted down, Rachel shared the joke with the rest of the family.
Still unsure why we were lauging, Caleb began to feel bad; like maybe we were laughing at him. Rachel and I took a moment to explain to him why it was funny (that he was so disfugured from several plastic surgeries) and that we weren't lauging at him.
... I don't know. Now that I re-read that, so much is lost in translation. But it was very funny at the time....
To continue on... some of us women-folk were gabbing at the kitchen table. My cousin's husband, Mark, was in the livingroom making some high pitched, chirping noise. Keri realized it was Mark making this annoying sound and told him to quit. They bantered back and forth for a few seconds and Mark finally conceded, commenting that Keri was just jealous because she couldn't chirp like that.
Keri didn't hesitate a second when she fired off, "Jealous? Yeah, I'm jealous. Jealous of a wife who isn't married to a guy that makes that sound!" ....Whoooooo..... We all hooted and hollered over the big slam she just gave. Mark realized he lost the battle and surrendered with a smile.
Most of the weekend was much of the same. Lots of friendly banter filled with warm affection and merriment.
I took lots of pictures but they are on my computer at home. I will have to upload some later.
Now for the Gracie comment. The kids did pretty good during the drive, but about half way home yesterday Gracie began to make several remarks. She flipped back and forth about wanting to be home right now and wanting to go back to Mamaw's. I tried to explain to her that home was in Indiana, Mamaw lived in Tennessee and we were currently in Kentucky.
She was half talking to herself and half talking to me when I heard her say, "We need a map. A map will show us where we've been, where we are and where we are going." ... I knew Dora had been teaching her Spanish but it never dawned on me that she would pick up on using a map for real life.....
I piped up, "Hey, we do have a map. Let me show you." I grabbed the atlas and marked the three states. I showed here where we had been, where we were going and where we were. She took the map and set it on her lap. Every few minutes she would ask, "Where are we now, Mommy"?
Ok, enough blogging for right now. I need to get some work stuff done.
February 11, 2008
A Break In The Cold
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Great blog - we had a wonderful time. The Mickael Jackson thing was very funny... . and Gracie, do you remember Grandma showing you the map once when she and grandpa was taking you and Pete home w/them and you kept asking, "when are we going to get there". . .she got the map out and showed you were you had been, where you were going and where you were at the time - like mother like daughter!! :o)
Thanks for such a wonderful weekend. Love Mom
Glad you guys had a great and safe trip. The Michael Jackson thing was funny! I loved that video. I still like to do that dance.....I could watch it over and over again!
Sounds like you had a great time - your family sounds like a lot of fun.
Good ole Michael Jackson - Too funny Caleb thought he was white!
Love the hubby slam...my poor guy gets that kind of thing a lot (snicker, snicker)
I miss you already! But I have my Flip Video!
Rachel
"I thought he was white!" HAHAHAHA! What a laugh you gave me!
That 'Thriller' statement by Caleb just busted me up!
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Family becomes more precious the older we get, don't they?
Blessings, Joanne
Post a Comment