March 19, 2008

Community Laundry

Last night about 10:30 Chuck's fire pager went off for a semi overturned in our town. It turned into a Haz Mat (hazardous material spill) as the semi was carrying 22,000 gallons of Detergent! And this said detergent leaked right out of the tanker and right into a major creek that runs through our county.

Laundry anyone??

The running joke this morning is if anyone wants to run out to the creek and beat their clothes on a rock.... actually school is canceled today (we've had over 4 inches of rain and several roads are flooded out) and I just told Caleb that I want him and Josh to take our clothes down to the creek and wash them. Caleb responded in a high squeaky voice, "This ain't the 1800's".

Aside from the humor in a creek full of detergent, it is a hazardous spill and there are dangers. The initial call came in as a semi overturned with no other information available. A county deputy was on the scene pretty quick and told dispatch that the tanker was leaking detergent and gave them a placard number. Dispatch advised the fire department that the tanker was just leaking detergent and failed to give them the placard information.

Big Deal?? After all, it is only detergent. Actually it is a big deal. The placard number would have made the fire department aware that this chemical is an inhalation hazard as well as violently reacts with water.... hmmmm, 4 inches of rain, overflowing creek, lots of flooding. Might be good information for responding units to have... Not to mention that the firemen should put on their breathing apparatus... but lack of training at the county dispatch is a whole other post...

Once the fire department was on scene they had dispatch tone out for EMA (Emergency management) as well as call out IDEM to clean up the mess. I am a member of EMA but since Chuck was already out I had to stay home with the kids... I have yet to be able to respond with EMA. Maybe this spring I will get to go out storm spotting...

I am a little miffed at the county dispatch for their lack of concern in the importance of the situation and the potential danger they put my husband in. Several years ago when I first started dispatching we had a haz mat. I don't remember what the chemical was but as it leaked it formed a poisonous cloud and area residents had to be evacuated. The first officer to respond to the scene drove right through the cloud and had to be taken to decontaminated... a cold shower scrubbed with stiff brushes....

My brother was on the fire department at the time and had driven his car to the scene. When the incident was over he got in his car and drove back to the fire house. The fumes had leaked into his car and by the time he got to the fire house and was dizzy and nauseous. He had to be transported to the hospital and decontaminated as well..... I was dispatching when they called for the ambulance and overheard them mention my brothers name on the work channel. Boy, did that get my heart rate going...

So my point is, I understand from first hand experience how important it is to get as much information as possible when someone reports an accident involving a semi truck. I could spew on about county dispatch but I wont. I will just encourage you to pay attention to details, such as placards, if you ever witness or call in an accident. ... the placards are usually a diamond shape stickers with 4 numbers in the middle....

12 comments:

Jenny said...

That would make a huge difference. Little details can totally alter things.

We are getting rain today too, the same rain I'm sure. I hope we don't get as much as you all though!

Have a great day and a Happy Easter!
jenny

Sharon Hayes said...

Caleb was pretty sharp :o)

That dispatcher should be severely reprimanded for not giving all the information - and all the other dispatchers need to be reminded what the placard numbers mean!!

Praise the Lord Chuck wasn't affected. I forgot about Pete having that experience.

Love ya

Mari said...

Wow - sounds like quite the ordeal. Thanks for the education - I know now that if I ever should call in an accident like this, I'd be sure to mention the placard.

Zaankali said...

Sounds frustrating. I had to be scary hearing your brother's name, I am sure that is when your job becomes not so fun.
Thanks for educating us.
Smiles!

Anonymous said...

I had to go back and reread this to really understand what a placard is...thanks for giving us this information and I sure won't forget that information!

Anonymous said...

It is frustrating when someone fails to do their job, and it jeopardizes the lives or health of others. Unfortunately, it happens too much. I wonder why that dispatcher wouldn't pass that along...pretty important information. I'd be upset too. Rocky is constantly in that kind of crap, being an industrial firefighter. No telling what he has been exposed to.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

All those little bits of information sure can make a huge difference. I am glad you dh is fine and hope that this incident will mean better attention paid next time.
Hope life is treating you well, take care,
Kristen

Wentworth Family Blog said...

wow that amazing. It's funny because just last week we did a refresher training on hazmat situations.

AlaneM said...

Wow, that could have been very bad indeed. PTL everyone is ok!

Sissy said...

Thank you for explaining the placard part. I would never have known to report that part if I ever saw an accident with a semi.

So glad Caleb finally got to prank call someone. It is harder these days, I guess. That is good and bad at the same time.

Chelle' said...

I wonder- did your community lake have suds on top of it?

Thanks for the insight reminding us to take notice of the 4 digits in the placard. I'm all over it next time.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

You gotta love those thorough county workers, huh?

Oh, and your comment about Paul's cop-shades made me chuckle. Actually we are HUGE cheapskates when it comes to our sunglasses. Those were from the Dollar Store. When you sit on and lose as many sunglasses as we do, it just doesn't make sense to spend more than a buck!