March 05, 2008

No More Pull-Ups

Gracie has a habit of coming into our room in the middle of the night. She crawls in between Chuck and I and snuggles back to sleep. The snuggles don't last long because she starts kicking and talking in her sleep. Either Chuck or I end up taking her back to her room.

A few weeks ago when Chuck was busy pushing snow in the wee hours of the night, I didn't bother taking Gracie back to her bed... without Chuck there, she had plenty of room to kick and move around...

I was off work this particular morning so we got to sleep in. The light began to peek through the windows... about 6 am... and Gracie stirred a bit. She rolled over and put her face right up to mine, "Mommy, can I wear panties to bed tonight?"... interesting sensation to be awaken by a nose pressed against yours.... I squinted my eyes open... well good morning to you too... a little confused at her question, "I guess." With that, she rolled over and went back to sleep... Gracie still wears pull-ups to bed but has been dry for several mornings. Why it popped in her head at 6 am I have no idea...

About a half hour later Gracie had scooched well over onto my side of the bed. "Gracie. Scooch over." A sweet little voice relies, "But I just try to cuddles." I hugged her and scooched her back over, "I wanna cuddle too, but you're about to cuddle me right off the bed."

****
When Gracie got her jammies on that night, I kept her big girl panties on. In an attempt to get her to stay in her bed during the night, I told her that if she was big enough to wear panties to bed, she was big enough to sleep in her bed all night. I fully expected her to insist that she wear a pull-up to bed. Instead she gave me a simple but firm, "Nope"... I guess that argument is dead in the water...

I am happy to report that Gracie has been pull-up free for almost two weeks. Aside from one minor accident.... because someone put her to bed and forgot to take her potty first. I wont name the person but it was her male parent... she has remained dry all night, but she still ends up in our room some time after mid-night.

One down. One to go... and I will be diaper/ pull-up free.... but I am in no rush. Suzie will grow up fast enough...

10 comments:

Mari said...

Yeah - that's another big accomplishment!

Sharon Hayes said...

Gracie is a big girl now. As much as Sooz loves to mimic Gracie - I'll bet she potty trains quickly even night time.

Love ya Mom

Unknown said...

Awww, I miss those little ones climbing in bed with me!! Cherish it while they are still with you. When our 20-yr-old married twin daughters come to visit they will lay in bed with us (right between my husband and I) for hours watching TV and getting my husband to scratch their backs and arms...what he used to do when they were teenagers. LOL We all used to snuggle every night and watch TV up until the moment they moved out of the house. If he was out of town they knew they could sleep with me even when they were 18 yrs old! I miss those days! Now I sometimes have grandkids that will snuggle with us but since they live so far away it doesn't happen often.

Sissy said...

So sweet. I have cuddles with my dog, Lucy...does that count? She doesn't wear pull-ups either, but has an accident occasionally! :)

AlaneM said...

Woo hoo!!
I tell ya becoming diaper free was the best! I get sad over other growing up things but not the diapers :)
Course you don't really get out of wiping butts for awhile though...but it's a step.

Anonymous said...

Liv used to come in bed with me every morning at about 2. Then one day, she just stopped. I wonder if staying dry through the night will help her sleep through it?

Wentworth Family Blog said...

yeah for Gracie! We are still working on getting rid of the pull ups at night time.

Zaankali said...

Hurray! What a big girl!
Smiles!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

That is so terrific!
I love those nighttime cuddles, but it sure would be nice to sleep through a whole night.

Anonymous said...

Yay! That is a huge milestone. I still remember when our last one didn't wear diapers anymore. Strange thing is, I kinda miss those days.