I started my drive home yesterday afternoon, the same as any other day... A memorized route so familiar that some days I don't even remember driving it.
Heading east on the city street, just a few blocks from the highway, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the world around me... rolling down my windows, finding a good song on the radio, taking my cel phone out of my purse so I could hear it if it rang... the truck in front of me caught my attention. It was a beer delivery truck, nothing out of the ordinary, except- it was the cleanest delivery truck I have ever seen. Not a speck of road dust or dirt on it's creamy white exterior.... which impressed me. Because even if they wash the trucks every night- it was mid afternoon and I would have expected to see some dust after a day of delivering...
Studying the back of the truck, wondering about it's cleanliness, I noticed bold, red print in the lower right corning, "Honk and I will pull over."..... hmmmm, Honk. And. I. Will. Pull. Over.... hmmmm... Pulling up to the stop sign, mulling over the reasoning for this to be printed on the truck.
My brain wheels spin out an image of a convenience store clerk chasing down the truck because the sales rep forgot to place an order for the beer. Weaving in and out of traffic trying to catch up to the truck, the clerk doesn't want to return empty handed to a store full of beer-less customers.
...nahhh...
Next, my brain imagery moved on to the idea of a thirsty factory worker needing a drink. Walking out of the factory door. Heading for his car. Seeing the beer truck pass by. He jumps into his car and chases the truck down. The driver pulls over and obliges the thirsty worker by sliding open the cargo door and pulling out a frosty brew. The worker reaches for his wallet and pulls out a few dollar bills, exchanging his money for the desired ale.
...being in law enforcement, there are too many things wrong with this scenario. Scratch this idea...
My next, more reasonable, conclusion was that maybe the beer truck had a governor on its speedometer. In the beer companies safety attempts, they decided their drivers shouldn't be allowed to travel faster than 55 mph. On the flip side of this precautionary decision, they realize that this is an 85 mph world and that motorist wont be happy with their beer truck holding up traffic. If a motorist honks. The driver will pull over. Letting them pass by- thus not angering holding up a potential customer.
...Possible. But not likely...
The beer truck headed south on the highway, as did I... not because I was following the truck, but because it's my way home... Still pondering the reason for the "honk and pull over", I take notice of the highways wide shoulders... hmmm. very wide shoulders. plenty of room for this truck to pull over. I wonder.... I seriously considered honking my horn to see if the truck would pull over. And if in fact the truck did pull over, I could then get out of my van, walk up to the driver and ask him WHY he pulled over.
....lololol. Can you imagine the look on the driver's face? Priceless...
No. I didn't honk my horn.
No. I didn't get to find out the answer to my question.
Anyone out there have some insight into this matter? Or maybe your own interesting opinion?
May 06, 2008
A Look Into My Thought Process...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
I get the way your mind works because mine takes those same random paths! The only thing I can think of is that he is trying to be courteous and will pull over if he's in the way.
Actually I think that was a perfectly reasonable thought train. I really think next time you should follow it to the conclusion and get him to pull over :-).
The bottom part got peeled off. It used to say "Honk, and I will pull over and punch your lights out." He's a slow and cautious driver, but he's big, and he's mean, and he don't like to be messed with.
Hey Bek, I love reading license plates (and trying to figure what some of them mean),. . . . as well as bumper stickers. Megan's reply sounds most likely :o)
Happy bumper reading everyone
Sounds like your mind works the same way as mine! I'd have to agree with your last idea...about letting people pass because he's going slow...wouldn't it be nice if all truck drivers did that for us? :)
That's one of those questions that can drive me nuts for hours!
I'm glad I'm not the only nut out there thinking about stuff like this :)
I decided I'd do a Google search for the phrase, "Honk and I will pull over." I manged to find just this one link:
http://simpleandsassy.blogspot.com/
2008/05/look-into-my-thought-
process.html
It's a vicious cycle of beer and honking that will never end.
My first thought was....he's looking for a date.
I think you should have honked. Then we all would have the answer! :)
I hope you see that truck again, so we can know the answer! It would have driven me crazy not to know.
Chicken! I wish you would have honked, cuz now we are all wondering:)
I am thinking the speed thing may be the right idea...
I think on rabbit trails like that at times. But I have no ideas, but will ponder on it for all of today!!!
Thanks
Jen
Post a Comment