I had to work this holiday weekend but I was off Monday. Sunday afternoon was warm and sunny so Chuck and I make a quick decision to get in some camping. We loaded up the kids and hauled the camper out to his parents farm.... They call it a farm. I call it a hobby ranch. The cows aren't there for income purpose, they just give Papaw something to do. And even though we've made some money at tobacco, it's main purpose is to allow Chuck to have a tractor...
Anyway, We set up camp, started a bon fire and broke out the marshmallows. It was peaceful and relaxing, even if we were in his parents driveway.
Monday morning, after breakfast, Chuck's dad decided it would be a good time to tag some cows. He called Adam down from his house and with Chuck there to help, it should be a peace of cake. Three of the four cows needing tagged were in the pin. The fourth cow was still in the pasture.
Chuck and Papaw took off on the 4 wheelers, and of course, so did the roaming cow. They chased her across the creek and up the hill... hmmm. This has blogging potential.... Gracie wanted to walk down to the creek to watch Daddy and Papaw... A post with the title "Modern Day Cowboy" began to form....
With only two 4 wheelers herding, the cow had plenty of open space. Chuck and Papaw chased the cow around in circles waving their hands and "Yaw Haw'ing" but couldn't get her cornered. Adam hopped on his 4 wheeler and sped past Gracie and I, across the creek and up the hill. Adam closed the gap and they got the cow up along the fence line.
Adam herded the cow back down the hill while Chuck and Papaw held the outer circle in case she got away from Adam. I found a good spot for Gracie and I at the bottom of the hill, this side of the creek, far enough off the path that we would be out of the way. Here came Adam and the cow, across the creek. Papaw and Chuck followed. Gracie danced up and down wanting to ride with her Daddy.
When Chuck got close to us, he paused long enough to reach for Gracie and put her on his 4 wheeler. At that same time, the cow maneuvered behind Adam and got away from him. Without Chuck there to close the gap she was able to slip past Papaw... I considered changing my post title to "Real Cowboys Ride Horses"... All of a sudden, I was the only thing between her and an open pasture.
...I can stand here and do nothing. Knowing the guys will have a tough time getting her back to this side of the pasture. Or I can attempt to "herd" this cow...
The cow stood on the path. I stood in front of a clump of trees. Chuck backed up and went around the trees in case she took off in that direction. Here she comes...
I waved my arms and took a couple steps to the left, trying to keep the gap closed... I can do this. No problem... Yes problem. I am wearing flip flops and crops. My next step is going to be in a junk pile of rusted old tractor parts surrounded by sticker bushes... Great! This is gonna hurt...
As I contemplate a safe place to step... because I never seem to have on appropriate shoes... the cow moves toward me... Ack... I take two more steps to the left, hopping forward at the same time to escape the rusted metal but still landing in the stickers and thorns... a few little pricks and scrapes. Not too bad...
Papaw moved up to my right, just behind the cow. Chuck is to my left and Adam is on the other side of the cow opposite me. The cow doesn't know where to go. We all hold our positions waiting to see what she does. She danced around in circle a few times and threw her head toward me... Being the only one on foot, I was the less threatening one... I waved my arms a few times but she forced me to take a step back. Chuck reved up his engine which caused her to head in the opposite direction.
Adam and Papaw were both behind her which allowed Chuck to push her to the right... toward the pin... Giving up, she slowly moved up the hill, allowing herself to be navigated through the gate. I hopped out of the stickers. My job was done.... still working on a title for this particular post...
By the time I made it up the hill, the kids had gathered in the barn. Gracie popped around the corner, "Mommy. Come see the cows get their ears pierced." Papaw waved the 'tagging' gun in the air, "Want your ears pierced?" he smiled at me. "Not with that thing I don't" I laughed back.
I leaned on the fence watching as they worked at getting each cow down the shoot so they could tag them.... cows don't like to be forced down a narrow path only to have their heads secured and holes put in their ears... Gracie wanted to get closer to the cows but I wasn't about to take her on the other side of the fence. After all, I was still wearing flip flops and cows like to poop.
May 28, 2008
Real Cowboys Wear Boots
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
Flip flops anytime and anywhere... a woman after my own heart!
Smiles!
Sounds like fun. I bet your kids will treasure the memories of tagging the cows.
Good and fun blog. I have an idea, why don't you take a pair of old boots to their house so you have them handy for such occasions? :o) Course then these experiences wouldn't be as fun(ny).
I love it that your kids are having such experiences. My childhood days visiting my aunts/uncles and grandparents farms - wonderful days.
Love ya
I'm glad you didn't hurt your feet! Sounds like qutie the adventure...wish I had somewhere like that to take my kids. We have plenty of farms around here but don't know anyone outside of town yet.
I never have the right shoes on either. This reminds me of when I was young. I grew up on a farm and I remember the cows getting out and my Dad saying - "don't let them get past you". I was scared and wasn't about to stay where I was with a cow coming at me!
Now how was this relaxing??
ROFLOL! This is SOOOO going in my next book!
Best lines:
Anyway, We set up camp, started a bon fire and broke out the marshmallows. It was peaceful and relaxing, even if we were in his parents driveway.
(The visual on this is hysterical!)
And:
"Mommy. Come see the cows get their ears pierced."
Love you! Rachel
Great story! Don't ya love that the first thing that comes to mind is 'how am I gonna blog this?'
I always have my flips on too, but I never chase cows:)
Sounds like ya'll had a great time! I LOVE flip-flops too!! Always wearing them!
Post a Comment