June 20, 2008

It Would Have Been Quicker To Do Myself

It has been such a busy several weeks for me... tobacco, ball games, keeping up on laundry, camping, kids in general... my floor has been neglected and in desperate need of a good mopping. With the boys out of school and all the kids in/out of the house, it's hard to find a time frame long enough for me to mop the floor and allow it to try before the kids trample on it.

The boys were at home the other day so I called them from work and asked them to mop the floor for me. Remembering the last time I asked them to clean... I was left with several questions regarding what and how they cleaned... I started giving Caleb step by step instructions on what to do.... also thinking about how Bill Cosby talked about emphasizing to his children to "use soap" while they were in they shower...

I started out telling Caleb to pick up the rugs, move the kitchen chairs.... mentioning every little thing I could think of that would need to be picked up off the floor before he swept. I continued on with instructions on where the floor cleaner was. Getting the sense that I lost Caleb some where after "kitchen chairs" I paused. Sounding distracted, Caleb starts, "Now where do you want me to put the rugs?"

Grrrrrr..... "Caleb, just pick up every thing off the floor. Sweep it with the broom. Then call me back"... noticed I specified "broom" so he wouldn't use the vacuum...

I kid you not, less than 2 minutes later my phone rings. Caleb's voice on the other end, "Ok. now what?"

Call it Mother's intuition... or just simple logic, "Caleb, there is no way you've had time to move every thing off the floor and sweep."

"What do I do with the rugs?" Caleb asked

Rubbing my forehead, realizing this isn't going to be as easy as I thought, "I don't care where you put them. Just get every thing off the floor so you can sweep it."

"Ok" Caleb hangs up.

This time there was about 5 minutes before the next phone call. Still questioning the time frame, I gave him the benefit of doubt.... trusting he had the first step of the process completed... I began to explain where the mop and bucket was. Which bottle of cleaning solution and where it was located EXACTLY. I explained how much to pour into the bucket and to fill it a little more than half way with HOT water. Knowing that I had probably maxed out his memory capacity, I told him to get that stuff done then call me back.

A few minutes passed. This time it was Josh that called, "Mom, are we supposed to put water in the bucket?"

Oh My Gosh.... now rubbing my temple in attempt to rub away the beginnings of a headache... Trying to control my voice and speak softly, "Yes, Josh. Fill it a little more than half way with HOT water. Do. Not. Use. Cold water."

"Ok" Josh seemed to understand

Next- the issue of the mop. I have one of those twist-the-handle-to-ring-out mops and sometimes it locks into place and you have to twist pretty hard to un-twist the mop head. This proved to be the most difficult for Caleb and involved a series of 4 more phone calls. I ended the last call with "If you can't get it. Get a rag from above the washer and you and Josh hand mop the floor."

10 to 15 minutes passed. I was getting concerned because it had been some time since they had called. So I called them. "Did you get the mop to work?"

"Yeah" Caleb sounded out of breath. "we're almost done."

"Alright" I sighed, "call me when you're done"

Soon Caleb called again, "Mom, are we supposed to mop the bathrooms?"

Shaking me head- I know I told him at least 4 times... "Yes. Mop BOTH bathrooms"

There were a few more phone calls to go over a few more issues. I was really not sure of what I would find when I got home.

Walking through the back door, the first thing I noticed was the lack of smell.... I should smell some sort of cleaning solution.... I took in a deeper breath. Nothing.

After setting my stuff down and thanking the boys for their help. I asked them if they used the cleaning stuff and how much. Their answer was vague. But I did notice the bucket of dirty water... well, at least they got some of the dirt up...

Caleb specifically called and asked what he should do with the water. I told him exactly what to do, yet there the bucket sat. I grabbed the bucket and moved over to the sink, telling myself over and over that at least some of the dirt is off the floor. It may not be perfect, but it's cleaner than it was.

Still not convinced that having the boys mop was any less time consuming or stressful for me, but it was some what a life-lesson for them.... and I guess me too

6 comments:

Mari said...

I remember having some of those types of cleaning lessons too. It really is easier to do it your self - but they don't learn anything that way!

Sharon Hayes said...

MUCH more stressful and not done as well as you'd like - but chalk it up to a teaching time. You do a GOOD job making them learn how to take care of things.

KUDOS

Julie said...

Oh.My.Goodness. I could not stop laughing at this one! I could visualize every phone call and expression on the boys' faces. Yes, a life lesson indeed, but a few more gray hairs for mom. ;)

This will be a great story (and warning) to share with their future wives. lol!

Linlee said...

I can't wait to hear you teach them to clean the toilets over the phone...lolol That would be hilarious.

AlaneM said...

Oh man, it is so hard to teach kids how to clean. My blood pressure goes through the roof!

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I can so relate to this post REbekah!! And a loved the Suzie post too. So adorable!