August 25, 2008

It's My Potty I Can Cry If I Want To

Last week I ran out of diapers for Suzie. I decided that was it- no more. It's either "potty" or "wet pants" from here on out. Total potty train or bust.

The first day consisted of several "accidents". The second day was better but Suzie still struggled with realizing the sensation of when to hold it vs when to release it. I would sit her on the potty every 45 minutes or so and she would sit there forever waiting to pee. By noon the second day I was becoming rather impatient with all this "waiting on the potty" business.

It was time for me to put Suzie on the potty again but I really didn't want to play the wait game. I avoided bribery as long as I could, but I was desperate. "Suzie if you pee in the potty we'll get chicky nuggets for lunch"

Suzie's eyes lit up and she ran down the hall to her bathroom. Gracie knew if Suzie got chicken nuggets, she would probably get some too. She cheered her little sister on in her "mother-hen" voice, "Pee in the potty Suzie and we can go to Mcd0nalds."

Suzie got herself ready, put her "pee-pot" on the big girl toilet and climbed on. But it was routine as usual- she sat on the potty but nothing happened. "Com'mon Suzie" I begged, "Pee." Still nothing. I continued to plead, "Peeheehee"... ok, it was more like whining... "Don't you want Mcd0nalds for lunch?"

Suzie squirmed around on her little seat. She looked behind her down into the toilet... as if she might see proof of her pee or something... She shifted around again, "com'mon" she said to herself, but still no 'tinkletinkle'. Sighing heavily she leaned forward and smacked herself in the fanny, "Come ON butt. PEE!"

...I am so glad I didn't have anything in my mouth...

Several minutes passed and still no pee. "Ok Suzie. I guess we will have to eat lunch here." I went to the kitchen and started to get out the bread ....that did the trick... Excitedly, Suzie called, "Mommy, I did IT! I PEED!!" ...and then we went to Mickey Dee's...

****
I think all this potty business has affected Gracie. She peed her bed twice last week. The first night was Monday, but I think I was double jinxed. Monday afternoon I washed every stitch of bedding in the house. I just knew someone was going to pee or puke in their bed that night.

She wet her bed again on Wednesday night. Chuck got Gracie cleaned up and in a fresh pair of jammies while I stripped her bed. We tucked her in on the couch and went back to bed. I whispered to Chuck, "Maybe she is dreaming about Suzie potty training and all the 'accidents' she has been having." Chuck stretched out in bed, "I was just thinking the same thing."

****
The potty thing has gotten much better... not letting her have a sippy cup as often has helped... Friday night when we were running the boys around and chasing fire trucks- Suzie went 4 hours and didn't wet her pants.

When I got her out of the van to go look for Chuck at the fire I thought, "I don't have a diaper bag or anything if she has an accident." I did ask her one time while we were at the fire if she had to go potty. She nodded her head yes so I said, "Ok, we better leave." With out unlocking the visual she had on her daddy, "No, I hold it"

And hold it she did.

****
And speaking of not letting her have a sippy cup as often... About two weeks ago I gave Suzie a sippy cup full of milk. She took the cup to the living room and began playing. Half an hour later I told her to bring me her cup. She had been too busy playing to drink her milk so I wanted her to drink it with her dinner.

Well, she couldn't find it anywhere. Knowing it was full of milk I had all the kids search the house for it. No luck- we didn't find it. Make note here that I looked in all the drawers, baskets and cabinets in both the living room and kitchen area. Make that all the drawers except one.

A few days later I started noticing a smell in the house, in the living room area. I vacuumed and mopped the floors. Still stunk. I cleaned out all the laundry baskets. Still stinky... hmmm... I took out the trash and cleaned out the trash can. Still, there was an odor.

I figured it might have been that sippy cup full of milk. I checked the toy baskets under the coffee table. I looked in the Tv cabinet, side table drawers and under/ behind the couches. Still couldn't find that cup- or the source of the foul odor.

After a few more days of my complaining about the skank, Chuck made a comment that the smell seemed to be coming from the front door area. We checked the air vents in the house and even looked under the front porch. Nothing. I was really started to get ticked off- not being about to figure out where this 'dirty-cat-litter-box' smell was coming from.... I even crawled around on the floor sniffing areas of carpet...

Yesterday morning Suzie was playing, "Look Daddy! I found my cuppy!" ...and found it she did... Suzie found the missing cup AND the source of the odor. The cup was in the drawer of the end table right by the front door... now I KNOW I searched that living room and every compartment in there. Why did I not look in this drawer???...

Chuck, not connecting the dots yet, opened the cup.... EwwweeeeWeeee. What A SMell.... Needless to say he threw the cup and its curdled cheese contents in the trash. It smelled so bad in the drawer... even after he washed it out... that he had to set it outside.

I am happy to report, my house no longer has a strange foul odor floating around.

4 comments:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

"Come ON butt. PEE!"

That's one of the best kid comments ever.

Mari said...

You gotta feel good! That is one of those big accomplishments. I'm glad the stank is gone too. :)

Unknown said...

Oh yuck! That is a horrible smell isn't it??!

Glad the potty training is going better.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Yea, the come on butt pee....LOL - I'm falling over with laughter. That one is hilarious. In fact, I think I peed myself!!!! Suzie would be so proud. In fact, I think I'm going to get some chicken nuggets. ha ha

Hey Seriously Rebekah - your surgery is tomorrow isn't it? Good luck. I'll be thinking about you.

Dana