October 27, 2008

First Official Day

Yesterday was Chuck's first official day as a paid Fire Fighter!... whoo hoo! Yipee! Doing a happy dance... However, this past Friday could be considered his Unofficial first day.

The Chief took Chuck up to Indy to get uniforms and such. While they were there, the Chief got a call from the station letting him know that one of the factories were on fire. At first Chief thought they were just pulling his leg, but then he heard the radio traffic in the back ground. Chief grabbed Chuck and they beat-feet back to the City to help with the fire.

Chuck, not actually being "On" the department yet, waited in the Chief's truck. One of the Captains came by and motioned for Chuck to follow. Knowing that Chuck has over 14 years experience, they put him to work- helping out with the hoses and running the trucks.

Before they were completed with this fire, they were toned out for a residential structure fire a few blocks away. The Chief grabbed Chuck again and they responded to the house fire. As they pulled up to the resident, the Chief told Chuck to get out and help hook up the trucks to the hydrants.

Finally- both structure fires were done and overhauled. Everyone went back to station, including Chuck, and started cleaning up... most times the cleaning up takes longer and is more work than the actual fire...

Chuck's volunteer department never had Class A uniforms (dress uniform). Having a Class A uniform is something Chuck has looked forward to... I have to admit, I have looked forward to seeing him in a dress uniform too... Since they left Indy early due to the fires, Chuck never got measured for his Class A. But considering that he actually got to help out with the fires, I don't think he minded.

Yesterday, being his actual first day, the Mayor swore him in.

I got off work at 2 and drove over to Chuck's new Firehouse... its about a 15 min drive... After I got there, they called the Chief and the Mayor to come over. It wasn't a big thing, just the Mayor having Chuck raise his right hand and repeat a swearing-in statement. Chuck said I didn't even have to come if I didn't want to. To which I responded, "I am a practical person in a lot of ways, but I am not going to miss you getting sworn in"

Anyway, at the Firehouse, I just planned on being there to take pictures, but the Chief told me my job was to hold the Bible Chuck would put his left hand on. I handed Chuck's Captain my camera so he could take some pictures... Oh joy! If I'd know I was going to be in the picture, I would have at least put on some lip stick and combed my hair a little...

The Mayor asked Chuck to raise his right hand... I sucked in a deep breath... Repeat after me. The Mayor repeated a typical formal type of swearing in statement. I glanced up at Chuck once or twice, but I knew I couldn't look at him or I would start crying. I noticed Chuck breath deep once. If it wasn't for the firemen standing around I think he might have teared up too.

Finally. After 9 years of trying to get on a paid department, Chuck is a Officially a career Firefighter.

9 comments:

Andrew Bruins said...

Congratulations Chuck! Good luck with the new job.

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

Where in Indy was he? Just curious.

Maggie said...

That is wonderful news!! Congratulations to him!! Wow, that was a super-busy non-official first day!! LOL

T with Honey said...

Congratulations to Chuck! It sounds like he will be plenty busy in his new job. And it sounds like you are mighty proud of him too. :-)

Sharon Hayes said...

So proud of Chuck - he probably won't have a day like his first "unofficial" day for a LOOONG time. I love seeing them in their dress uniforms - when I worked I loved seeing our new L.E. officers sworn in - it may be short but it's very special. So proud of the 2 firefighters in our family.

Love Mom

Mari said...

How exciting! And what a first day he had. You should have taken a picture of that swearing in!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Chuck!!! Congrats to you both!!

Unknown said...

awwww,I was tearing up just reading that. So awesome when you wait such a long time and your "dream" finally comes true! Way to go Chuck!! Congratulations!