The other day, driving home from work, I heard an old song from my younger years- England Dan and John Ford Coley- Nights Are Forever Without You. Floating along on their mesmerizing harmonies... "I didn't know it would be so strong- waiting and wondering about you- I didn't know it would last so long- Nights are forever without you..."
I floated off to a place long ago.
***A large polyurethane arena. Lights dim while an array of colored spotlights danced around the floor. In the middle of the rink, a globe hung from the ceiling, reflecting sparkles of light as it spun 'round.
I was about 12, I think. My oldest brother was teaching me to slow dance on roller skates. I was a good skater, but it was different with a partner, turning, spinning and turning. Danny guided me around the rink as we weaved in and out of other couples on the floor. He held me steady as he turned me around and continued to weave in and out.***
My memories drifted on by the lull of the music, images sliding from here to there.
***Our house was always open and friends welcome to hang out. Most of my brothers' friends took on a brotherly roll to me. I saw myself as 'every ones' little sister. The little squirt running around, who needed to be picked on- like most little sisters do.
Some of their friends were 'life time', while others passed through briefly. I remember one guy- I'm not sure how he entered the picture, I think he worked at Publix with one of them.
Anyway, one afternoon this friend had stopped by looking for one of my brothers... either Danny or Joel, I can't remember. I think this guy's name was Phil, but I'm not sure about that either... I was sitting on the steps outside our apartment building eating a bowl of rainbow sherbet... that was my favorite at the time... Phil started teasing me... just joking around of course... And me, being the feisty booger I was, decided I'd tease right back.
I loaded up a spoon full of cold sherbet. Turned the spoon around and secured the tip between my teeth... like a catapult... Phil laughed. "Don't even think about it" with an "I dare you" tone.
I sat thoughtfully for a few seconds, weighing out the possible consequences of my action. The challenge in his voice didn't sit well and temptation took over... Flip!.. I let-r fly... Splat... A big glob of sticky, wet ice cream hit him square in the chest and slid down into the top of his jeans.
Both of us froze- Phil in disbelief at what I'd done, and me for the exact some reason... I'm sure he was a little 'froze' from the ice cream as well...
I shot up from my seat, ducked under the stairs and through our front door, escaping any retribution. He didn't chase after me and from there my memory fades. Phil wasn't in my brother's circle of friends for long. I'm not sure what happened to him. But remembering the look on his face- still makes me laugh.***
The other day I posted about seeing "Me" in Gracie. I see my "little sister" characteristic in her as well. Josh and Caleb's friends take to her like a little sister, and she eats it up. Interesting, though- the year span between her and Josh is close to the years between Danny and me... something in that feels 'full circle' to me...
October 30, 2008
How Do You Wear Your Ice Cream
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





11 comments:
I would have liked to see that! Chad was working on the dishwasher last night and a hose popped out and soaked him! I thought Katie was going to die laughing, he wasn't laughing so much!
Jen
i would've done the same thing! i say chuck it! good one...anything for a good 'getcha'
That's such a good memory... isn't it so amazing that a song can bring so much back?!
Certain songs always seem to make memories flood back in for me as well.
Poor Phil. He probably stopped hanging out with your brother because he was embarrassed a little sister got the better of him!
It's funny how music can take you back in time! That's a good story!
I love trips down memory lane like that. I was the little sister too, though I never was brave enough to assault anyone with ice cream, lol.
That's a wonderful memory and story!
I am the big sister...with two younger brothers and a baby sister who is 7 years younger. (I guess she's not really a baby anymore, she's 39)
But I have lots of memories of my siblings, too.
Good times,great family.
You've been BOO'd!! =)
What goes around comes around...lol
I really miss those days of your friends and our friends dropping in. . . it was a lot of fun.
Fum memories and how neat to see those similarities. I am sure it will be like that for my Girly too.
Post a Comment