There has been some media hype last week over a picture posted on facebo0k. I haven't seen the picture but it has something to do with breast feeding. I was over at Big Doofus and read his post regarding the subject, which got me on a little rant in his comment section, so I thought I would share some of those thoughts here.
Now my first comment is that faceb0ok isn't open for anyone to see. You have to be invited or accept an invitation to be added to the 'friends' list in order to see a persons page. If you don't like some one's content, delete the friendship- No big deal.
Second, there are much worse things on the internet that have unlimited access- i.e. Y0utube. So why hammer faceb0ok??
But all that aside, the real grit in my teeth is the 'breast feeding' issue... ah, breast feeding. The politically correct mother hoodism of having a baby- if you don't do it, you are shunned by society. BLah!... Yes, I did attempt to breast feed my first two children, but quickly switched to formula and swore I would never attempt it again. Now that's my own personal issue and hold no opinion on any person, whether they breast or bottle feed.
My issue with breast feeding this "Motherhood-Society" making a ruckus over their "right" to feed their baby in public. A body part that is normally taboo to bare in public is now considered "natural" just because a baby's mouth is attached to it.... wha..??...
Having a bowl movement is a natural thing, but we can't just pop-a-squat in the middle of town square just because we have the urge. And sex- that's natural too, but there are all kinds of laws preventing that in public.
I do understand that when a baby is hungry, A Baby IS Hungary- and must be fed. But just like the bowl movement, we still have to find a private place to relieve ourselves. There are still rules of public decency. If there is absolutely no place to rest while you feed, then be responsible. Be prepared, Toss a blanket or something over your shoulder... cover it up for goodness sakes...
I have been around woman who feed their babies so discretely, that no one has a clue they are doing it. On the flip side- I have seen woman plop their bo0b right out, fidget around... while still exposed... then hook the baby up to the bar.... Now is that really necessary??...
Why does breast feeding get a free pass?? A bare breast is still A Bare Breast. Bottle feeding is more convenient to do in public, but that is just the trade-off you make when you decide to breast feed. Get Over it
To quote a slogan- Don't Drink and Drive.... Don't Feed and Bare
January 05, 2009
A Rose By Any Other Name
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
I don't love seeing anyone's breasts hanging out, but. Breast feeding is feeding, which is completely different than using the bathroom of having sex. It is eating. Food. not the same thing.
Here in Canada it is a protected right to feed your baby whenever and where ever.
I have bigger breasts, and I much prefer to nurse away from other people and if I can't, I do cover up.
I do agree that there are some militant breast feeding women out there who feel the need to push their agenda on others, and their boobs in your face. I hate that, I think it is ridiculous. But I don't think that women should have to hide out to feed their babies.
Sing it sistah!
I know lots of breast-feeding moms and they use these cool covers.
Once we were out to eat with friends - another couple, me a Hubby and another male friend.
The woman was breast feeding her baby. During lunch, with three men sitting across the table from us, she lifted up her shirt to feed the nurse, futzing around as the baby latched on, continuing to pull up her top so it didn't touch the baby's face.
I was mortified. I wanted to tell her to cover it up!
The men were uncomfortable too. Yes, it's natural. But it's still a breast. Like you said, I don't do my other "natural" business in public for all to see.
GET a life people!
Rachel
I'm mostly with you on this. I think they have the right to feed their baby anywhere they need to but I agree that lettin' it all hang out is so not appropriate! Be descreet & cover up, there is no need to flaunt.
But I think that on your FB page you have the right to post your photos & a pic of a breastfeediing momma does not offend me one bit.
When I penned that post on my blog, I knew that it would be somewhat divisive and yet I've been impressed with how everyone has expressed themselves. I think that it's modest and thoughtful for a woman to make a reasonable attempt to keep herself covered when she's nursing in public, but I don't think it's mandatory. I cannot imagine that any woman would want some guy ogling over her while she was nursing. As much as I hate to admit it, men and women are just wired differently when it comes to things like this.
I'm with you! I breast fed all 3 of my kids, but not in public! I didn't even like to be in a room with people and be covered. If I had people over that weren't my Mom or sisters I would go to the bedroom to nurse.
I'm with you,,,,cover it up, I really don't want to see it. For me, it's more of a sadness thing, not being able to have children of my own and being reminded of that every time I see a mother breastfeeding in Public brings back the memories of all that i went through before I had my hysterectomy.
Leigh-NC
I'm thinking of Rachels situation and trying to think what would I do and what would be the correct thing, and what would I Honestly Want to do. (They are all different) If the "feeder" was really that open, I would hope that I would excuse myself politely and just disappear for a while, but I get so ornery when I think about using "political correctness" to just be selfish. A mother should be responsible enough to plan ahead. For the child, for her and out of consideration for everyone else. In Rach's case the "Feeder" was simply inconsiderate. That poor behavior is no excuse for me to behave badly or to ogle pointedly as if to say: you put it out there I'm going to look at it! nor should I comment rudely.
News flash. Babies need to be fed. Plan for it. Express if necesary, pick any of ten different options, or for crying-out-loud, be discreet if no other option is available. Why? So you don't make someone else uncomfortable. In Rach's case, the very least the "feeder" could have done would have been to drape a blanket over her shoulder (and baby). That at least would have allowed everyone else to pretend it wasn't happening. Okay. Mr. Manners is done ranting.
Post a Comment