Since the 4th grade, Caleb's had a crush on the same girl. I encourage him to just be good friends with her... no need for a relationship at this age... But every now and then I will toss around a little teasing about his 'girlfriend'.
For Christmas I got Josh and Caleb a cell phone to share... mostly as a benefit to me so they can call when they are ready to be picked up from games and practices... Josh isn't much of a social bug so Caleb usually has the phone in his possession texting friends... and his crush, whom I'll refer to as Cutie... Also, Caleb has gone to a couple of her basketball games at the home gym... he always asks if he can go watch the 7th grade girls play- his classmates...
So anyway, with this recent activity, Cutie's name has been tossed around in conversation- enough so, that the girls have picked up on it... they know whats what... The girls and I dropped Caleb off at the gym the other night and this is how things went...
Caleb pushed the door to the van open and started to climb out. Gracie told her big brother good bye followed with, "Have fun watching Cutie's game." Caleb halted in his steps and looked around at Gracie with a grin from ear to ear. Suzie (little Miss Repeat) chimed in, "Go watch yo fwiend Cutie."
"Hey", Caleb laughed, his cheeks flushed a light pink, "I'll get you two when I get home" He pushed the van door behind him and ran to the gym doors. I laughed at the whole incident and reached my had behind my seat, "Gimme Five, girls"
****
Coming up on Valentines Day, the school sells Carnations for the kids to pass out to their friends. Standing in the kitchen Wednesday afternoon, I asked Caleb if he was going to send any flowers to Cutie. He shyly grinned and rolled his eyes... he's been a little shy about the Cutie since the girls called him out over the basketball game... Caleb didn't give me a verbal answer but his actions said it all. I asked my question again, looking for a verbal confirmation.
"Yeah" Caleb still grinning, "I sent her three"
"THREE?!!" I exclaimed jokingly.
"What?" Caleb seemed a titch embarrassed, "They were three for a dollar"
"I'm just joking with you. Geeze" My focus went back to preparing dinner and Caleb retreated to his room.
A few seconds later Caleb returned to the kitchen, "Do you think it was too much?"
Washing up a pan, my mind already moved on from our previous conversation, "Do I think 'what' was too much?"
Caleb didn't answer but waited on my reply. I felt his stare and turned to look at him, his expression somewhere between 'true concern' and 'school boy crush'. Realizing he took my over exaggerated reply to heart, I tried to ease any excitement.
"No. " I shook my head. Caleb stood still, his expression not changing. "Seriously, Caleb. What's the worse that could happen? Nothing. I mean, what girl doesn't like to get flowers? Besides, they were only a dollar." I tried to play up the inexpensive cost.
He seemed to relax, but still not totally convinced that three was the best choice. Not mentioning it to him, but thinking there is some life lesson in this... I'm not sure exactly how this lesson will play out, but certain it will come back around at some point and time...
Friday after school I asked Caleb if anything came about with the flowers. He said no, but he hadn't seen her yet. Walking out the back door to play some basketball, "But she usually says 'thank you' when I send candy canes and stuff"
Oh, he is such a boy- there is nothing a game of basketball can't fix.
****
Hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine and a great weekend
February 14, 2009
No Such Thing As Too Many Flowers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
This story is so cute - poor Caleb going thru the pains of growing up. I hope "Cutie" likes the flowers and Caleb for sending them to her. :o)
That is the sweetest story ever!! Those girls cracked me up in the van. haha And how sweet was his concern on whether or not he'd sent too much? Ahhh, to be young and in love. lol
Happy Valentine's Day!!! =)
Such a sweet story... Elizabeth has had a crush on the same boy since 1st grade... and all of a sudden she's so shy around him.... so cute!!!
oh your sweet boy!! cute
OMG how sweet of him! That just made my heart melt, what a good kid you have!
Were not there yet, no girl friends or crushes that I know of.
Oh man, that is so cute!
Post a Comment