Caleb got braces last week. He bugged me several times about when he would get them. Now that he has them, he's asking how soon before he gets them off... I guess he gets that from me- always ready to move to the next thing. No patience...
Last weekend was gorgeous. The kids played outside all weekend enjoying the Spring weather. Late afternoon Sunday I stole a few minutes of my own to get on my treadmill... felt the need to burn off those cookies I ate earlier...
And par for the course, just as I was getting into a good groove, Josh came running into the house, "Mom! Caleb crashed his bike!"
I pulled the key to stop the treadmill, "And?" waiting to hear the results of the crash... with Josh its hard to tell if Caleb just banged his knee or cracked his head open...
Josh's excitement scaled down, "His mouth is bleeding but he's ok. He's walking home now."
"Well" I thought to myself, "at least he isn't laying in the street dying."
Caleb is a little klutzy sometimes, so this is nothing I'm not used to. I guess I should make him wear a helmet. Heck, I should probably make him wear a hockey mask- this is the third time he's busted his mouth on his bike. But can you see the hysteria that might cause?... chee chee ha ha- Jason is coming... (that little chee ha thing is supposed to be the sound from Friday the 13th. Just in case you didn't pick up on that.)
Seriously though, I probably should make Caleb wear something. But I am one of those politically incorrect mothers who don't make their kids wear helmets... I figure I survived without a helmet- so will they. but that argument is another post on its own...
I hopped down off the treadmill and headed for the back door. Caleb was coming up the walk- He was not screaming his head off. No visible lacerations on his face. Walking just fine, no concussion or broken bones.
Chuck came to check out the commotion, following us into the bathroom. Caleb pulled his hand from his mouth. There was some blood, but not much. Most of the damage was from his braces. Checking out his mouth in the mirror, Caleb pulled his bottom lip down. The inside of his lip was stuck inside his braces. I cringed.
"You're gonna have to pull it out" Chuck said.
I thought he was talking to me. "I ain't pulling it out. You pull it out. You're the EMT."
But Caleb understood that Chuck was talking to him and he gave his lip a little pull, then hesitated- afraid of how much it might hurt. I shielded my eyes- which I'm not really sure why. Maybe because I was afraid there was more damage than that and blood would start squirting out of his mouth when he pulled his lip out.
"Com'on. Just pull it out. Real quick" Chuck encouraged Caleb.
Caleb gave it one quick tug and it was out. Just a tiny little cut where it was caught. Not even any blood.
The commotion was over and every one went back to what they were doing. Caleb, still in the bathroom examining his mouth, wasn't ready for the fuss to be over.
I was back on the treadmill... huffing and puffing... and Caleb kept coming in to show me his battle wounds... little tiny scrapes and cuts... He insisted a lower tooth was loose. When I mentioned calling the Dentist, Caleb changed his tune, insisting it was ok.
Caleb wearing braces is new and I am still getting used to the look of his full mouth. But when his lips started to swell from his bike crash, I couldn't help but snort out a little laugh... he was beginning to look Ape-ish.... "Go get some ice and put it on your mouth." I explained that would help with the pain, swelling and bleeding.
He must have really been hurting cuz he got the ice. Caleb can be dramatic from time to time so it's hard to tell how bad things actually are. But with those braces and from the looks of his huge lips, I'd say there was some pain involved.
I do feel guilty from time to time that I don't make them wear helmets. But if I let the fear of them getting hurt control my actions- I'd clothe them in bubble wrap and make them sit on the couch all day long.
March 27, 2009
Caleb The Brace Face
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Not wearing helmets didn't kill us. I wonder if I should make her wear one and feel slightly guilty and then mildly ridiculous for thinking of putting a helmet on a kid who is riding a tricycle. Poor guy! Hope his mouth feels better! (And do me a favor and walk a bit for me too, m'kay? :)
Ughhh that made my stomach flip flop! But I'm laughing cuz I have a mental picture of him. LOL, sorry buddy!
Poor Caleb - that's a rough start to braces!
Poor Caleb, hope the swelling went down quickly - did he get any sympathy from Emily??
Poor guy....he sounds like Asa in the sometimes dramatic department. Asa will show us repeatedly his microscopic cuts and be deathly afraid to get them wet in the tub.
I am mixed about helmets. Since Asa had his big crash last year I am more on board with the helmet idea. I just hate seeing these kids on Big Wheels with helmets twice the size of their heads and full body armor. They must be so hot and exhausted from all the extra weight, how can they possibly ride a bike?
We didn't wear helmets growing up either and we had some crazy crashes....of course, my brother had the worst ones.
What are you going to do, make him wear a helmet on his lips? If he'd had one on, how would it have saved his braces wounded mouth?
He's got to have some war stories to entertain the youth when he's a youth pastor!
Post a Comment