March 26, 2009

Murphy's L@w Part 3

Hmmmm- this could be a post title for so many things. Maybe I should check my posts to see if I already have one. But before I do that, I'll finish my post
*Note* I checked my posts and I already had a Murphy's Law part 1 and 2- so here is part 3*

A few weeks ago I posted about my palm pilot crashing and having to get a new one. I had a hard time finding just a basic palm cuz nowa days, every thing is crammed into one... phone, music player, palm devices, internet, texting, e-mail... you get my drift...

Searching the internet for the simple device I wanted was difficult. I considered getting an all-in-one deal, but my cell phone was working fine- besides, I was used to it and for the most part I liked it. Another down side to the all-in-one is they are either big and clunky... which I didn't want to carry that around in my pocket... or they are microscopic.... I'd need magnifying glasses to see what I was doing- and forget about being able to press the buttons to text someone...

I found a palm as close to what I wanted as possible... in a decent price range... and bought it. I hooked it up to my computer to do all that- ya know, installation stuff. The first day every thing went just right. But the next day I connected my palm to sync some appointments and it went all hay-wire.

I spent just about every night that week uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I even had the guy that works on our computer stop by to see if he could fix it- but he had no luck. Shortly after he left I gave it one more shot and Voila!- for what ever reason it was acting up- it was now working properly.... stupid electronics... With all the trouble I had with that stupid Palm, I kept wondering if I should have just bought the all-in-one deal with the latest technology... I considered that I was having trouble with the Palm because it was outdated...

Anyway- I went through this whole story to give you the full effect of my next statement. Yesterday afternoon my phone... the phone that I decided to keep because it had served me so well... Died!!... Yep- Died. The number keys froze up, then the phone just started dialing random numbers, then it completely froze up and crashed... Oye Bay...

I took it to the store and the tech messed around with it and got it to come back on. By the time I got back to work, it crashed again.

I searched the internet for the problem I was having, hoping I might find a solution. I called two other stores to see if they had any suggestions... No luck... After work I went back to the store but after messing with it for 30 minutes, the only option was to get a new phone... it was over a year old so I had no warranty on it and I didn't buy any replacement insurance for it...

So, after an hour and a half in the store, I left with a new phone. Not sure if I like, just a matter of getting used to it I suppose. The only consulation to this whole mess is that I am glad I didn't get one of those all-in-one. The particular one I was considering is just too dang small to operate... but it would be nice to not have so many things to carry around with me... Oh well.

3 comments:

Sharon Hayes said...

Oh the days of technology!! All the gadets are so helpful & convenient & yet can cause so much stress that sometimes I wonder if they are WORTH IT!! UGH BUT I guess they are. :o)

Mari said...

Yes - you do have a bad case of Murphy's!

Anonymous said...

I have always called it "Murray's Law"-but only because that is my maiden name, LOL. What kind of phone did you get? I am trying to figure out what I want to get when my contract is up for renewal. *sigh* I guess it's time to join the Blackberry club because my palm died too.