August 24, 2009

Asleep On The Bus

Suzie and I rode the 4 wheeler out to the end of the drive to wait for Gracie's bus. This was her first day riding the bus. For the morning ride to school, Josh and Caleb were with her. But this afternoon, she was riding the bus all by her big-girl self.

The bus pulled up and I could see Gracie in her bright yellow shirt... the new one she got while school shopping that claims her as 'Daddy's Girl'... Being the last stop, she was the only one on the bus. She looked so tiny in that big empty bus.

The bus passed by Suzie and I, pulling to a stop in front of the driveway. Gracie's brown wavy curls were pushed up against the glass on the bus window. I started the 4 wheeler and pulled up to meet the bus.

The bus in park and stop arms out, the driver got up and walked back 2 rows to my little girl. Gently he shook her... Awwww, my heart melted as I realized she'd fallen asleep. an hour ride on a warm bus will do that... Gracie lifted her head and looked out the window. Her face was red from the heat and her hair moist against her forehead. It took her a second to realize where she was. As soon as she saw Suzie and I, she smiled big and hopped out of her seat.

Gracie came skipping around the stop arm, "I fell asleep" she giggled. Pushing her hair off her forehead I smiled back at her, "I know. That was a long ride, wasn't it?" Gracie nodded her head and immediately started walking down the lane. The driver and I exchanged 'waves', then I turned to follow Gracie up the drive.

"Don't you want a ride?" I asked. But oddly, Gracie turned down a ride on the 4 wheeler. She continued to walk toward the house, backpack in hand. I guess she needed to stretch her legs after that long ride.

The first day on the bus wasn't so bad- but riding the bus has quickly become Gracie's worst thing about school. She either falls asleep or cries... not a sobbing cry, just a very sad cry... Toward the end of last week, she begged to let the babysitter pick her up with the other kids, "... then you could pick me up when you get Suzie." Gracie argued her case.

An hour on the bus is a long time for her, so I gave in to her request- but made clear that she will be riding the bus at least once or twice a week. There will be times that she has to ride the bus, so she needs to get used to it. Gracie agreed- so we'll just see how this week goes.

10 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Rebekah,

I would have to agree that riding a bus for an hour is a bit much. I am glad that you are having her still ride but not all week long.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Growin' With It said...

maybe she's upset that its turned into "nap time"? this description was priceless. how adorable!

Beth Cotell said...

Poor thing! Hopefully she will adjust to it soon.

1 hour is a long bus ride but I guess you've got to do what you've got to do.

And perhaps a nap is just what she needs after a long day at school! :)

Sharon Hayes said...

Sweet little Gracie, I wish she didn't have to ride so long - she has a very long day & probably needs a nap. Hugs & kisses to her.

Rachel Hauck said...

Such a sweet story! Melts my heart. I remember in 9th grade, I hated riding the bus. I was the only white girl and while I didn't mind that, (1975) the kids would NEVER move over to let me sit down. The bus driver yelled at me to "Sit down!" but no one would. I was the last stop on an over crowded bus.

I wish I could see her.

Love you, Rachel

Rachel Hauck said...

Such a sweet story! Melts my heart. I remember in 9th grade, I hated riding the bus. I was the only white girl and while I didn't mind that, (1975) the kids would NEVER move over to let me sit down. The bus driver yelled at me to "Sit down!" but no one would. I was the last stop on an over crowded bus.

I wish I could see her.

Love you, Rachel

Will H. Donaldson Family said...

We had the same problem with Jake, except his ride was more than an hour. We talked to the school and the bus driver switched the route into reverse when he brought the kids home. That way the kids that rode the longest in the morning road the least in the afternoon and vice versa. Everyone seemed to love it.
dea

Nicole said...

Aawww what a sweet heart. We wont have to do the bus rides unless we move. We live 2 blocks from the elementary and 4 blocks from the jr. high. By the time high school comes around they will refuse to ride the bus!

Unknown said...

Oh bless her heart...that IS a long bus ride! She's so young, she's probably worn out - that nap does her body good I'm sure. LOL

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Reminds me of the time my husband fell asleep on the hour-long bus ride home. He slept well past his stop and called me when he was awaken at the end of the line and end of the day, about 10 miles beyond where we lived.

And then there was my friend, a university professor known for staying out late, who fell asleep on the Moscow metro. He was not noticed when the train reached its final station for the night and ended up locked up until the train left the station at 6 in the morning for its daily shuttling!