To me, running is NOT fun. Especially running any kind distance. I always thought people that ran marathons were just plain crazy... they have a few screws loose. Not playing with a full deck. Their butter slid off their pancake. The door is locked but they forgot to shut it.... you get my point...
Someone once told me that they enjoyed running. It was fun.... Running? Fun? Isn't that an oxymoron? But- Chariots of Fire was a very good movie...
Anyway- there is a point to all this 'running' talk. Josh.
Josh ran cross country in 7th and 8th grade... or maybe it was just 8th grade. I cant remember... His 9th grade year, Josh didn't want to run- even though the coach asked him to on a couple different occasions. Josh isn't a super fast runner, but he has a lot of energy and endurance.... I remember one race- Josh didn't finish first, but he was at the front of the line. Right after he crossed the finish line, he walked over to me and started talking. I commented that he must not have been running very hard if he was able to carry on a conversation right after the race...
This summer I told Josh that he was going to run cross country. He balked at the idea and fussed about it. I explained that he has way too much energy to be sitting around. He needs something to keep him busy or he gets bored and gets into trouble. Josh still didn't want to run, but went to practices willingly enough.
The Coach began conditioning a few weeks before school. Josh started out about 9th place on the team, but some of his teammates had been running all summer long. Once the season started, Josh moved up in the ranks. He placed 7th for the team, then up to 5th- and last week he held the 3rd position during the race but got passed right at the finish line... note- this is place for the team, not the race. Several schools run and Josh is usually in the top 25...
So far, all of Josh's meets have been out of town and I haven't been able to watch him run yet. After his last meet, Josh's grandma mentioned the Coach commenting on how proud he was of Josh, and how he thought Josh could be 2nd on the team. When I picked Josh up at the school after his meet.... the night Gracie cut her hair... I took a few minutes to talk to the coach.
I'm gonna paraphrase here- Coach remarked that even though Josh ran a good race, almost placing 3rd, he wasn't even breathing hard. He feels that Josh has a lot left in him at the end of the race. Coach wants to work with Josh and train him how to run better... apparently there is a skill to running... Coach is also going to have one of the top runners mentor Josh, encouraging him to keep up and not hang with the pack.
Coach and I talked about Josh's hearing and social struggles. He said that Josh has really come out of his shell. I was very happy to hear that and complimented the Coach on his approach to coaching.
Coach is a great coach. He held a casual dinner for the team and their parents one night after practice- just to hang out and meet each other. He got the team together and camped one night at the State Park. They spent time hiking/ running in the woods. And last week, he had the team over to his house for dinner. He really cares about the kids and training them to be the best they can be. At all these events, Josh interacted with his teammates- talked and joked instead of sitting in silent observation... now if I could just get him to go to a school dance...
When I got back in the van, I asked Josh how he liked running. He shrugged his shoulders in that "I like it but not admitting it" way. I told him the Coach thought he could be one of the top runners and encouraged him to give more during the race.
Buckling my seat belt and putting the van in gear, I smacked Josh on the knee, "I am very proud of you!" Josh turned toward me and smiled.... and then of course I went home to the hair cut fiasco.... It never stops at my house...
September 18, 2009
Cross Country Runner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I've been anxiously awaiting this post - I'm so happy Josh is running, excited about his coach who sounds like a great guy. I have to confess I cried reading this. (Secret, I ran the 100 yd dash in Jr. High. BIG DEAL HUH!!) Give Josh HIGH FIVES for me.
I have never liked running and am impressed by those who do it. Way to go Josh! I'm so happy to hear how well things are going for him.
Post a Comment