September 20, 2009

Bookin' The Miles

Yesterday Josh had another cross country meet. I had to work and wasn't able to go- Again!.. but this Thursday I. Am. Going. To watch him...

When I got home from work I asked Josh how the meet went. He was 3rd for the team, in the top 18 for the race and did a personal best of 19 minutes. I congratulated him- especially on the personal best because this course was a tough one... lots of hills...

Last night I got on my treadmill and decided to run jog a bit. As I jogged, I glanced at the time and distance monitor. I started thinking.

If Josh is running 3 miles in 19 minutes, that breaks down to... roughly a 6.3 minute mile.... holy cow- that's really cookin... I couldn't run 2 miles in 19 minutes. My personal best is 1 mile in 11 minutes. But that's just for ONE mile. Josh is keeping the 6 minute pace for THREE miles... whew I get exhausted just thinking about that...

I am so proud of him and I hope he keeps running cross country. It would be a shame to waste the talent he has.

5 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Rebekah,

That is a great achievement for Josh. I couldn't walk a mile in 19 minutes. I really do need to get up and moving. My life is becoming way to casual!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sharon Hayes said...

This is fantastic!! I pray he will stay with it. I think as he gets better he will feel a real sense of accomplishment. This is his niche.

Tell him Mamaw is VERY proud.

Mari said...

That is incredible!

Sissy said...

I remember having to run the mile in school and hating every minute of it. We were required to finish in under ten minutes, I think, and I struggled with every step. Running is just not my thing. At all.

Eventually, I found my place on the flag corps in the marching band, and I ran all over the field with my flag. I think having something to do and live music made it much more fun!

Unknown said...

Wow! I am impressed! That is awesome!!