September 15, 2009

Singing To T'bacco

Chuck has been working hard the past several weeks getting the tobacco hung. He tried something new this year with outside tiers. We spent Saturday afternoon out at the farm and just before we left, Chuck asked if I would help him and Papaw cover the last of the tobacco tiers.

I hopped on my 4 wheeler and motioned for Gracie. She ran over to me and climbed on. Sitting in front of me, Gracie took control of the 4 wheeler and sufficiently got us to the back field.... with just a little assistance from me...

Pulling up to the tobacco tiers, Gracie shut off the engine and we waited for Chuck and Papaw. I heard Chuck's 4 wheeler about the time he crossed the creek. As he got closer I heard Suzie's sweet little voice get louder and louder. Chuck popped up over the hill and through the back gate. Then down the lane, where Gracie and I were waiting.

Suzie was sitting in front of Chuck, enjoying the ride and singing as loud as she could. The closer she got, the more I could make out what song she was singing. One of her favorites, a Taylor Swift song. She knows the chorus by heart, but doesn't get all the words exactly right...

"... I hate that stupid ole pick-it truck, ya nevah let me drive. You a red neck. Hart brick. ... reallee bad at lie-in. So watch me stripe a match on all my wasted time. Far as Im concern, you're just another picture to burn..."

Chuck and Papaw worked getting things ready to cover the tobacco tiers with plastic. Suzie was jumping and skipping around, still singing the same chorus over, and over, and over, And over. Gracie joined her. Both girls, skipping and singing.

After, oh about 100 renditions of the same tune and lyrics, my ears began to burn. During a pause between the repeated chorus, I tried averting their obsession to another tune. Their latest favorite song that they love to sing as loud as they can. "Joey! I'm so sorryeee. Ohoohh. Can you hear me?"

The girls quickly joined in, dropping the tiring "Pictures To Burn". My one mistake? The chorus to Joey is much shorter.... Oye... Just a few run-throughs of that and I had enough. I tempted the girls with a few more of their favorites. But it wasn't long before Suzie was back to skipping down the tobacco field, swagging her shoulders back and forth with attitude, belting out, "I hate that stupid ole pick-it truck you nevah let me drive...." ....I have got to remember to bring my video camera Every. Where. I. Go....

2 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Rebekah,

I would just love to have seen that video of your daughter singing that Taylor Swift song. I bet she sings it with more determination and gusto than Taylor does.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sharon Hayes said...

You need a hip bag for your video camera - would it fit in a gun holster?? :o) I can picture Suzie & Gracie but would love to see the video. I LOVE ITT

(I used to sing a song over & over (only I was a lot older) that drove your grandma crazy. :o)