The girls and I took a little trip down to Lowes yesterday to get some paint. Stepping through the front sliding glass doors we walked right into "holiday land". Lowes has already set out all their big blow up decorations....
We saw Santa, Snowmen, Penguins popping out of igloos, lots of pre-lit trees, choo choo trains and lots of porcelain town shops on display.... I let the girls 'ooohh and aaahhh' a few minutes before ushering them to the paint department.
Standing in front of a sea of colors, I picked out a dozen samples that were possible matches to the picture from the JC Penney catalog magazine I ripped out. Several minutes passed. I was undecided and the girls were bored. Suzie stepped out of the isle and into the main area by the registers. From there she could see all those blow-up displays by the front door. She began hollering for me to come see.... but I was preoccupied with examining paint chips against the magazine picture... decisions, decisions...
To appease Suzie and give myself a few more minutes to make my decision, I quickly stepped out of the isle and looked in the direction of Suzie's finger. A 10 foot black cat and a life size figure of the grim reaper. "Look at his face. Look at his face" Suzie jumped up and down, all excited. But I couldn't see from my angle. I laughed at Suzie's excitement and made a deal with her, "You give me a few more minutes to get my paint and we'll walk over there. Ok?" Suzie agreed and tried her best to be patient... which wasn't very well...
Finally! I made a decision and got my paint mixed. Finally! Suzie got to walk over to the display. What a commotion she made- she was all giddy and smiles. But just as we walked in front of the figure, Suzie slapped her hands up over her eyes and kept walking.
"What are you doing?" I laughed, "I thought you wanted to see him?" But Suzie kept walking and didn't remove her hands until she was sure she was well passed the dark figure. I looked back at the display. It wasn't a gruesome or scary face, just a skeleton.
"I don't want to see it anymore" she stated simply, looking up at the Christmas displays, then pointing again at the penguins in the igloo... I think we may have to buy that one this year...
I let the girls oohhh and aahhh again at the winter wonderland before heading to the check out.
Skipping to catch up to me, Suzie threw her hands up over her eyes again as she passed the grim reaper- nearly walking into a couple pushing their cart. "Excuse us" I apologized to the couple and grabbed Suzie's elbow that was bent from covering her eyes. The woman noticed the grim reaper and chuckled, "Awe, poor girl".... poor girl, my foot... The woman and I exchanged smiles as a blinded Suzie continued to wonder aimlessly.
I pushed my cart forward to catch up to Suzie before she walked into someone else, "Suzie, would you take you hands down!"
Suzie took her hands down and looked around to see where she was at. Noticing I had picked up two small rakes, she did a one-eighty and skipped over to my cart. Taking the rakes out of the cart, Suzie started 'raking' the concrete floor. The metal screeching made my skin crawl, "Suzie. Quit that!"
Standing in the check out line I lifted my foot to rest it on the bottom rack of the cart. "Hey!" Gracie shouted. I looked down and saw Gracie's face under my foot. Preoccupied with Suzie, I completely forgot Gracie was riding on the bottom of the cart, laying on her back. "Would you get out of there" But Gracie was too busy letting her head hang back so she could see the penguins popping out of the igloo.
I tell you what, for two girls that didn't want to go in the first place, they were sure having a good time. Now today, after work, I get to have a good time- Painting.
October 11, 2009
Eyeing Displays At Lowes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I nearly forgot what shopping with kids was like. Everything's an adventure!
Have fun painting. Take pictures so we can see!
oh boy do i remember those days. but you sound much nicer than this cranky mama who tried to make such a big decision w/ distractions...even sweet distractions! ☺
PAINTING?? Now what are you painting bet Chuck had a remark. . . :o) & the Grim Reaper? I took Buckeye for a walk around the neighborhood & in one yard they had a BIG blow-up of the Headless Horseman - Buckeye really barked & growled at it. Don't blame Suzie. . .
I love to paint a room..... have fun!!!
Post a Comment