November 08, 2009

Forgives' Day

I was in the kids' bathroom getting Gracie and Suzie ready to run some errands. Gracie asked, "Is today Halloween day?"

"Yep, today is Halloween." I replied as I brushed out Suzie's hair. I added a hint of excitement to my voice and continued, "And then guess what comes next?"

All three of us were standing in front of the mirror. The girls gazed at my reflection, anticipating my response.

I moved over behind Gracie and started to brush her hair. "Thanksgiving!" I smiled big and waved the brush in the air. "And we will eat lots of turkey. And pies. And.. and lots of yummy food!"

The girls smiled.

"Then guess what comes next?" The excitement building in my voice.

"What?" Suzie asked with a big grin on her face.

I opened my eyes wide and cheered, "Christmas!"

The girls cheered back, "YAY!"

I finished the girls hair and stepped into my room to get myself ready. The girls were still in the bathroom playing together.

But those "Nice" little girls didn't stay long. A pair of "Naughty" girls showed up and started an argument over a toy. I ushered the girls out of the bathroom and told them to get their shoes on. Gracie ran to the back door, where she left her shoes. I followed Suzie into her room to help find her shoes... she is not very organized.

Suzie sat in front of the closet, sad and sniffling over the previous disagreement.

"Suzie. Get your shoes on." I stated. But Suzie didn't budge.

I grabbed Suzie's shoe and sat down next to her reaching for her foot.

Suzie wasn't all that sad. I think she was milking it. But in a sad little voice, Suzie mumbles out, "Mommy, when its forgives day, I dont want to eat turkey. It sometimes burns my tongue."

I had already for gotten about conversation in the bathroom, "What?" I asked with a little laugh. "Forgives day?" I questioned.

Suzie nodded her head and sniffed, "Yeah, the turkey burns my tongue."

"Oooooh" I laughed, "You mean Thanksgiving day"

"Opff" Suzie laughed and rolled her head. Smacking herself in the forehead she says, "That's what I meant. I forgot."

All smiles now. Suzie launched into one continuous confabulation about turkey dinners, pausing only long enough to draw in a breath and continue chatting.

Cross-eyed from the barrage of information, I quickly finished putting on Suzie's shoes so that I could leave the room. "Gracie. Suzie. Grab your sweaters and lets go." Luckily that was enough to derail Suzie's train of thought and I was spared any more details about turkey dinners.... Hopefully she wont pick it back up, here in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Mari said...

I like that! A "Forgives" day is a great idea!

Sharon Hayes said...

"Forgives" day what a thought!! Curious how she thought Forgives instead of Thanksgiving. Too cute.

Love you

Growin' With It said...

cutie patootie!