Josh, Caleb and Gracie headed back to school yesterday so Suzie and I headed out for some shopping. We spent the morning wondering through a furniture store, which positively exhausted Suzie's ability to mind her mother. At one point, she sprawled herself out in the middle of the floor and moaned out "Im reaaaady to goooo".... reminded me of the little boy, Russell in the movie "Up".... lol- I tried not to laugh at her but I couldn't help it....
Finally! I decided on a recliner and mattress sets for Josh and Caleb. The saleswoman wrote up the ticket and I gathered up the lump of Suzie off the floor and exited the store. With the idea of the bribed promised lunch, Suzie perked right up and became Miss Chatty Cathy.
Surprisingly we both agreed "no McDonalds"... its the only fast food joint in our town so we wanted something different... We couldn't find a Burger King, so Wendys it was.
Suzie and I picked out a booth and I began organizing our food on the table. Still being a Chatty Cathy, Suzie's voice grew into one long babble. I let her words run through one ear and right out the other. Suzie laughed, and that was my clue she said something funny. I rolled my eyes at her and smiled, "You're so silly" acting like I heard what she said.
"How you do that?" Suzie asked as she shoved another fry in her mouth
Not sure what she meant I asked, "How do I do what?"
Suzie continued to dip her fries in ketchup and eat them, "You and Gracie make your eyes do that."
"Oh" I laughed and rolled my eyes, "You mean roll my eyes?"
Suzie rolled her head around, "I can't do it"
"Sure you can. Dont move your head and look up at the ceiling" I looked up without moving my head. Suzie tilted her head up to see the ceiling. "No, no, no" I laughed. I grabbed Suzie cheeks with my hand, "Now look up with just your eyes" But Suzie lifted her eyes, along with her eyebrows and head, pulling her face out of my hands. The expression on her face was comical
Grabbing bites in between my tutorial I tried a different approach. "Here, look straight at me and follow my finger." I circled my finger around just on the edge of her view. Suzie did a little better keeping her head still, but her eyes jumped around trying to follow the circle I drew.
Suzie paused for a few more fries so I grabbed another bite for myself, "Don't worry Suze, you'll get it."
Later that evening, at the dinner table, Suzie and Gracie were talking about the "eye rolling" lesson. Gracie quickly rolled her eyes around and Suzie tried to follow. The best that Suzie could do was this eyebrow thingy. Gracie laughed, "show Mommy, Suzie"
I turned to see Suzie raise her eyebrows three times quickly. Grace and I smiled and rolled our eyes at each other.
Gracie and I have this thing we do whenever Suzie is being too silly. We take turns rolling our eyes at each other and nod toward toward Suzie.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. One day I'll wanna slap those rollin eyes right out of her teenage head, but for now its funny trying to teach Suzie how to do it- and Gracie and I have fun rolling our eyes at Suzie.
January 06, 2010
A Lesson In Eye Rolling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Rebekah
Are you sure you really want to teach Suzie how to do that? Thankfully my kids haven't done it in front of me but Lord knows how many times it may be happening behind those closed bedroom doors when they aren't happy with our decisions.
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
you are THE coolest mom! ☺ might as well learn it from you instead of friends, right? then it can be for fun and not what it always turns out meaning!
You are such a good mom!
Rachel
DITTO Rachel & "Growin with it" I love the way you have fun w/your children. Keep up the good work!! BTW I have NO doubts Suzie will learn how to roll her eyes :o)
Love you all
I think it's so funny that she noticed it and asked you about it! Then I laughed that you really tried to teach her how to do it. When she's 14 you may not like it so much, but for now it will be cute.
You always have the funniest stories. I'm so glad I keep up with your blog. I'm looking forward to the day when I have stories of my own to share.
Post a Comment