The animal drama at our place has been abundant over the past year.... or I should say the "dead" animal drama. We lost bunnies, goats, chickens, turtles, and shot a stray dog that was attacking our goats. The girls have been exposed to a lot, needless to say.
Earlier last month, Suzie and I went outside with Chuck to help him feed the dogs. Ok, actually, we had been pent up in the house far too long so we braved the freezing temps to get a little fresh air.
Suzie and I strolled along the fence row petting the goats. Chuck noticed something stuck to the fence and called to me, "Hey, look. A bat"
I walked over a few steps and looked at the creature frozen to the fence. Chuck tugged on it, trying to pull it off the fence. Getting a closer look at it I commented, "That's not a bat. It's a flying squirrel."
The poor little thing was froze to death. So sad. I love flying squirrels.... I've had a couple pet squirrels... Chuck tugged harder trying to pull it loose from the fence. We looked closer and realized that his little paw was stuck on the barbwire... awwwww...
We figured the little fella was unable to get his paw unstuck so he froze to death in the single digit temps. Now what kind of freak accident is that? In all our ten acres. With all the wooded and open areas we have. And that squirrel landed it's paw in that one specific spot. I mean, really. But I guess its par for the course with all the animal tragedy at our place.
Chuck finally yanked hard enough to get the squirrel off the fence, "Look Suzie, he called."
Suzie wanted to hold it and pet it. She thought it was the cutest thing ever. It was sad this little squirrel froze to death, buts what even sadder is the fact that it didn't upset Suzie. There has been so much animal death this past year that a poor little frozen squirrel didn't even faze her.
Here is hoping this new year provides better luck with our pets.
January 01, 2011
The Frozen Flying Squirrel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment