Taking turns tucking the girls into bed, I laid down with Suzie. We said our prayers and spent a few minutes cuddling. Suzie asked how old I was, then asked how old Daddy was.
I am 5 years older than Chuck and the girls always confuse that with who is shorter and who is taller. They think because Chuck is taller than me, he should be older than me... I kinda like their thinking cuz then I would be 5 years younger than I am! lol...
Suzie thinks for a second then whispers, "In real life, the guy should always be taller than the girl"
I pondered her comment for a moment. It's weird how we, as a society, come up with stereo types. I always thought the guy should be taller and older... ok, so I got half of that right- lol... I always try not to stereo type people, especially around the girls. I want them to know that anything for anyone is possible. I thought a little more about where this stereo type with Suzie came from. Well, Chuck is taller than me, Papaw is taller than Mamaw, and all her uncles are taller than her Aunts; so this is what she knows, as a 5 year old.
I wanted to express to her that life doesn't have to be this way, "Well, the guy being taller isn't always the case. The girl can be taller."
To which Suzie replied, "Not in my world."
I chuckled at her comment, then pushed her thought process a little more, "So you're saying you wouldn't marry a guy if he wasn't taller than you?"
Suzie giggled, put her hand over her mouth, and whispered, "I might if he was cute enough."
I laughed and shoved Suzie's head under her blanket, "You're such a goofball."
Suzie just giggled
January 04, 2012
Cute Enough To Be Shorter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
My kids always got the whole age/height thing mixed up too.
Suzie is so cute!
So true.. It's funny how we get ideas stuck in our heads that really shouldn't be there at all!
So great that you're developing a healthy mother/daughter relationship now, in the cuddle phase... You'll be so glad you did later on!
Post a Comment