Josh turned 15 this past year, and those 15 years have been a learning experience for me- more so than just basic motherhood.
Starting at about 18 months old, I began to notice things in Josh. Being a new mother and Josh being my first child, I didn't know how to handle what I thought I thinking... boy, that was a weird sentence...
Greg and I had moved to a new place. We didn't have very much money and no insurance, so I never took Josh to the Doctor unless he was sick. But I did notice things about his speech.
I thought he sounded tone def or something. He just didn't say his sounds right. Also, he didn't play with his toys like other kids. Instead he would line them up according to size, shape and color. I wondered if he had some form of Autism or if this was just his personality... I didn't know much about Autism other than Rainman, but Josh was obsessive-compulsive about things like Rainman...
I know I spoke my thoughts out loud on a few occasions to family, but it was more like wondering than an actual concern... kinda like I was looking for some validation to what I was thinking... But like I said, I didn't take Josh to the Doctor, and even if I had, I'm not so sure that I would have voiced my concerns because I didn't really know if they were concerns- Josh being my first and all, I didn't really have anything to compare him to.
Greg and I moved back to Indiana and Josh enrolled in preschool. Now having a second child (Caleb) to compare Josh's reactions to certain things, I did think there was something going on with Josh. Josh's teachers made comments as well, concerning his behavior... a lack in social skills mostly, along with a paralyzing fear he would sometimes display... Hence, began an evaluation.
Through kindergarten and first grade, we had a lot of doctor appointments and office visits. Josh was diagnosed with a mild/moderate hearing loss in both ears and a form of 'selective mutism'... what ever the heck that means... But I wasn't satisfied with that terminology and asked on a couple different times about autism. I was always told no- but that the symptoms in learning behaviors overlap. So that is what I was seeing, and not actual Autism.
Elementary school was a time of many struggles. Josh's difficulties were mild and mirrored symptoms of several different things. We struggled with school work, correcting his hearing and social skills- I struggled with asking myself if we were doing all that we could for Josh. I felt I wasn't being listened to, but in all fairness, I didn't make a lot of noise because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be making noise about... if that makes sense...
The school did work with us and provided some assistance for Josh, but I still felt there was something else. I read several books on children with hearing loss. Josh could hear enough to get by, but he was experiencing indirect affects of his loss. He wasn't def enough to be labeled into any certain category that would automatically provide him other assistance. Instead, we struggled along, unsure of what direction to take.
Eventually I settled with the fact that Josh's struggles were all hearing related. Every book I read commented that children with hearing loss display behavior symptoms that run parallel to several different disabilities, which makes it very hard to diagnose them with any kind of learning disability... well, that described us to a T...
To make this every growing story short, we did put Josh on a form of ADD medicine a few years ago and it does seem to make a difference in his school work. With every thing we struggled through, Josh does 99% of his work on his own and gets mostly B's with a few C's... every now and then a D...
Josh still struggles socially, but starting this past summer, there have been some other issues surface that has caused us concern. I took Josh to his ADD Dr this morning and his dad met us down there. We both expressed our concerns and described Josh's behavior as best as we could. Understanding that it is hard to diagnose learning disabilities, especially with Josh because of his hearing loss and lack of communication skills- the Doctor gave us what his guess would be. A mild form of Autism
I sighed heavy- Relieved to hear someone else say that. But angry at myself for not fighting harder all those years in elementary school... I knew it. I knew it. I knew it!... I understand that this is just his guess concerning all that is going on with Josh. The Dr is referring us to the big Children's Hospital for further evaluation. But at least we are moving forward to get Josh to a point where he can have a healthy adult life.
Interesting enough, I fought and fought to keep Josh off medication. Josh's ADD Dr has been one of the best things, I wish I would have taken Josh sooner- but on the flip side, if he does have Autism, the medication wont do anything for him, so I was right (maybe) in not wanting to put him on meds. But if I hadn't given in to the medication, Josh would not be seeing this Doctor.
Autism (mild as it may be) is something I've always wanted Josh tested for. But I didn't push, not hard enough. Through my experience with Josh... and this has over flowed into my own medical care... I have learned that the Doctor is not the final authority on my families health. I Am.
Glad we are moving in a positive direction, instead of a stand still- but I am frustrated with myself. I wasn't happy with settling. Josh was getting by- but it wasn't good enough. He deserves better. He deserves all that life has to offer. And now, hopefully, we are on a path that will help him accomplish that.
*Oh, they always weigh and measure Josh. He has put on 5 lbs and grew 2 inches in just 3 months. No wonder his pants are starting to look like flood-waters.
January 09, 2009
A Mother's Intuition
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
I can only imagine how you feel a mixture of relief and anger. At the end of the day though remember God's timing is everything. He knew the first time you worried that this would be the time it became vocalized.
They have made huge advances, so I'll be praying that everything improves!
Jenny
Don't be too hard on yourself, it sounds as if you did everything that you could. It must be somewhat relieving to hear that news though. Now you can get down to business and get him and you feeling better!
You know how it us with Moms - it's really easy for us to feel guilty about things. I'm sure you know in your head that you did the best you could do when you were in the situation. You've continued to do that and it brings you to the appointment today. I know you will keep doing the best you can and will move forward from this point. The most important thing, is that Josh is surrounded by a family that loves him!
Bless your heart for having to have gone all those years w/o validation from anyone. My oldest son (Josh, too, lol) was diagnosed with ADD in 1st grade, and since the 4th grade, we've noticed things getting progressively worse with him. His ADD Specialist was stumped and sent us to a Psychologist last summer. He saw him for 5 minutes and said he was depressed and prescribed an anti-depressant, but I was like you, "Uh, yeah, I don't think so, you've known my kid 5 minutes; we'll get a second opinion, thanks!" So we have been seeing a family counselor since then, and now have come full circle. She believes there is a self esteem issue, that could be causing a little bit of depression (understandibly, if that's what it is). So now we're going back to the Psych Dr in Feb, and will go from there I guess. I can completely relate to your story - we've been back and forth with these doctors and counselors for years. He is struggling in school, getting in trouble (nothing major, but constant, so he's been labeled by the school already, which is so fun, by the way - we've already had countless meetings with both vice principals, teachers, and he's even had ISS this week!) Wears a person slap out!! I want a better life for Josh... I want him to do well in his life and become a successful adult. We'll continue to fight. Good luck in yours!! =)
BTW, there are some awards waiting for you over at my place!! =)
I'm similar to you in regards to the doctor - I've always deferred to them, I mean, what do I know! But I know that's not always the best policy and that you have to be your kids avdocate.
I have a cousin who has Aspergers (sp?)syndrome & I'm wondering if it's what they think Josh has. Matt didn't get diagnosed until he was in uppper elementary/Jr High - and with the help he's gotten has made some amazing strides.
So don't beat yourself up too much...you are taking care of it now & that's all that matters.
You are an awesome momma!!!
I'm glad you finally have some answers or at least a new path to follow. I hope you can get Josh the help he needs.
I'll be praying for you all!
Bekah, I am in tears reading this. I am so relieved for you in finding out what to do to help Josh. You are a wonderful mother and Josh is so well loved!
Julie :)
Bekah, you have been a strong advocate for Josh all along, continuing to seek answers. I'm very proud of you and in awe of you as a mother, you are a great example of what a good mom is.
I love you very much
Post a Comment