Last week our community suffered a loss. A classmate of mine, the only child of some good friends we used to live next to, died unexpectedly... he was only 38- very very sad...
Sunday evening about 8pm Chuck and I just got home. I sent the girls to their room to get their jammies on and Chuck sat down in his chair and logged onto his lap top.
Chuck hollered to me from the living room, "Hey, Mike died."
I responded puzzled, "No. Mike? Are you sure?"
Chuck verified, "Well, So&So posted it on FB"
After a brief discussion we decided we needed to go visit his parents, they were very good neighbors when we lived in town. I called for the girls, who were already in their jammies. We helped them slip on their sweatshirts and socks and shoes and headed out in the rain... a depressing rain for depressing news...
After we hugged our friends (Mike's parents) and said our condolences we hung out with the family for a little bit. Outside of a few small whispers the house was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Mike's wife, exhausted from the days events, was taking a nap.
Leaving the couch and chairs for family, the girls and I were standing up by the door. Another couple came to pay their respects and Mike's mother greeted them at the door. She hugged the lady and they spoke for a moment and then the lady stepped aside so Mike's mom could greet the gentleman.
The room was small and I stepped back to give the lady room to stand in front of me so she could still be next to Mike's mom.
Mike's death is a devastating shock to this family and sorrowed silence filled the room. I moved the girls with me as I stepped back, sandwiching Suzie at hip height between me and the lady.
Suzie turned her head up to talk to me and tapped me on the stomach to get my attention. I looked down to see what Suzie needed.
Suzie's soft little whisper floated up in the silence, "Mommy, her butt is Big."
I sucked in a huge breath in a silent gasp and quickly placed my fingers over Suzie's mouth. Gracie, who was standing close turned to me to agree with Suzie's assessment. I quickly placed my other hand over Gracie's mouth.
Granted, Suzie's assessment was correct, the lady's hips just about touched each side of the doorway as she walked in. But Suzie's timing was deeply in error.
Of course no one said a word, ignoring the situation. I could only hope that no one else heard her, especially the lady, but I am certain that was just not the case. I was mortified!
The gentleman and lady spent a few more minutes talking with Mike's mom before moving to the sitting area. I released the girls and knelt down to whisper in their ears, telling them not to say such things about people.
The girls were restless and wondered over to where Chuck stood. They played around quietly for a little bit but grew too fidgety. Chuck and I hugged our friends again and said our goodbyes. Quietly we exited the house and ducked the rain out to Chuck's truck.
Once out in the truck I explained in more detail about appropriate behavior and commenting, no matter how truthful, on people's appearance- in any size, shape, form, or color. We are all imperfect and we need to love and respect each other regardless. I think Suzie got the point, but only time will tell...
May 22, 2010
An Inappropriate Truth; A Suzie Story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Kid's say things at such times! You can remind her of this when she gets older!
Rebekah,
I've been there with my own so many times fortunately with coaching they grow out of it.
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
Rebekah,
Please help me spread the word of a sister in Christ who so desperately needs help with a limited amount of time left.
http://godsheart-heart2heart.blogspot.com/2010/05/urgent-prayer-request.html
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
That is very, very sad about your classmate. And I'm sure that won't be the first time one of the girls says something inappropriate outloud. Our teenage says things that embarrass me on a pretty regular basis. :-)
Post a Comment